Author Topic: Anybody ever find a piece of elm thats just hard as a rock?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Just wonderin, as a month or so ago I cut an elm, or what I believed at the time, an elm sappling. I could be wrong but the leaves looked identical to elm. But I'm sure there are alot of leaves that look identical to elm, :). Anyway, got it home and debarked and sealed the ends. The next day or maybe 2 days after it had checked horriblely, so I cut it up and ended up burning it when I needed firewood. But it was so ridiculously hard and pretty dense as well, I didn't know what to think. I tried very hard to push my fingernail in the wood right under the bark and it wouldn't make a mark. I hit a piece of it I cut on another piece, and still it wouldn't make a mark. And I hit it hard. I was thinkin it was a kork elm, I don't know it was just rock hard even right after being cut. I know it sucks to not have pics or really much to go on, just looking to see if any of yall might have worked with kork elm or think it might have something else...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
Re: Anybody ever find a piece of elm thats just hard as a rock?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:16 am »
I've never worked with elm so I had to look up the hardness of cork elm.  Seems as it's also called rock elm and it has a listed hardness on the Janka scale of 1320 which puts it between white oak and read oak.  So pretty hard for a domestic hardwood.  Winged elm is listed as having a hardness of 1540 which is very hard for a domestic hardwood. 

Here's a couple of links to the Janka hardness scale:

http://www.advantagelumber.com/janka.htm

http://www.sizes.com/units/janka.htm
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:08 am »
More likely HHB if it checked when you removed the bark.  Rock elm has very distinctive bark and twigs. HHB leaves are fairly similar to Elm. Go back where you cut it and check the other trees there.

DCM4

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:00 am »
Hhb bark is way different than cork or winged elm.  Would be hard to mistake the two.  Also hhb limbs grow out perpendicular to the tree, like a T.  Elm grows like a Y.

Elms, hickorys, oaks species seem to intermingle, traits mix like shades of grey, really hard to be precise on the id, or draw conclusions about it's likely working properties based upon these traits.  I find more variation from one specimen to the next anyway, but still look for winged limbs and small leaves when selecting an elm.  Best one I ever cut was a leaner and the tension side good bow wood, dense, but suffers the same tendancy to take and hold moisture as other elms.  So unless you (in my climate) are able to keep it dry enough, where performance will rival any bow wood, performance when moisture heavy was below par in my experience despite it's high density.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:42:50 pm »
True Rock Elm (not winged Elm) however is identified by branches that come out of the trunk in a more horizontal manner. Elm does develop thicker corky bark fairly early but there is a time when the two  species(HHB and Rock Elm) are saplings when at first glance they are quite alike.

DCM4

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Pat.  Hhb arent nearly az common, or rock elm as far as I can tell in my area.  And tree id is real tricky absent some learnin and experience and I'm admittedly light on both.