Author Topic: Knapping rock?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline JEB

Knapping rock?
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:13:34 am »
Can the listed rocks be knapped?

Mery ellen jasper
Crazy Lace Agate
Petrified Algae
Arizona Lizard stone

I picked up these rocks which are the size of a mellon for $4.00 each.  A guys has his parents rock collection and is trying to get rid of everything ASAP.  Each rock had a slice of from one end which shows the beauty of each rock.  I am sure they would need some heat but i was just wondering if anyone out there knapped these rocks before and what kind of success they have had with the rock.  I also picked up a nice chunk of snowflake Obsidian but it may have a little too much snow flake in it.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Knapping rock?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:50:01 am »
Jaspers and agates from what I understand will all knap and I believe they could use some heat. I'm certainly no authority on those kinds of rocks but someone will chime in that knows. Got pictures?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »
I agree with Cowboy.  Take that rock to someone who sells rock to knappers, if it doesn't have fracture lines, you can trade it for a lot of lower grade knappable rock or you need to get it slabbed.  If the guy you got the rock from has a saw, you may want to get the saw.  Usually, the guy with the saw gets 1/2 the rock he saws up.  Or you could pay money to get it sawn.  Bill

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:59:29 am »
Going  back this afternoon with Mike Cook (Art if ishi) on flintknappers.com.  Mike knows rock.  Hopefully we can pick up some  good knapping rock.

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:29:18 pm »
all that is lapidary rock I have some of each, find a lapidary dude and do a trade. You might could pressure flake the slabs from it, the mary ellen is the red with silver in it right? comes from up north around one of great lakes.

I would trade you abox of my coral for the crazy lace and the lizard skin, I am running out of those