Author Topic: Chrysals? I was hoping to mail this bow!  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Matt S.

Chrysals? I was hoping to mail this bow!
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:50 pm »
I think I just spotted some chrysals/fretting on one of my possible trade bows.
I've never had this happen, so I'm hoping these are just tool marks, but realistically I know there's about 0.00001% chance I'm that lucky.
Here are two photos:

This was one of two possible trade bows, my first Mollegabet, that until final sanding when I spotted these marks, I thought was going to be a great bow. My other trade bow candidate is a couple pounds lighter than what my recipient wants  :(
Guess I should just suck it up and start on another couple bows.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Chrysals? I was hoping to mail this bow!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:16:10 pm »
Those are really little. Shoot it in real good, if they don't get bigger or nothing I wouldn't have a problem with it. Chrysals I get are never that small. They may start little but quickly turn to deep crevices. Looks like you could sand that away with 2 swipes of some 220 grit, at least they look that small to me. If your really worried I would sand em away and shoot the crap out of it, if not more chrysals then your good. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »
I agree..  They don't look that bad to me... I would try to sand them down and shoot te bow some more and if they don't get bigger, it should be fine. Tool marks tend to show up on oak when you are sanding(at least they do for me) but if you sand them away they are fine. Gold luck.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »
I'm afraid your fears are justified
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:16:24 pm »
I agree with Marc. Those chrysals go deeper than you think............Art

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:40 pm »
Those are chrysals, Matt. The ones you have are localized so they happened because the limb is bending too much on that spot. You can fix it by removing wood from above the spot and below it. Then retiller the other limb to match. You can also glue on a piece of rawhide over the chrysals to take some of the stress off that spot. Yes, they go much deeper than it seems. I seem to know a lot about chyrysals. LOL. I wonder why.  I won't take a bow with chyrysals hunting or anywhere else.  There are also a few other fixes but none of the fixes are worth the bother. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:46:47 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:31:05 am »
I just went out and shot a bow and was surprized by a bunch of chrysals myself, I guess as my karma. I'm just gonna have take back what I said, you should probably ignore what I said earlier and listen to the more experienced bowyers on here...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:40:09 am »
ya know a couple of # light should'nt bother anyone, probably better than a couple of # to heavy, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 01:23:09 am »
Yep I take back what I said too... Definitely listen to the more experienced  >:D people on this site... I learn something new every day..:)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:34:37 am »
ya know a couple of # light should'nt bother anyone, probably better than a couple of # to heavy, Bub

I agree with bubby a couple pounds light aint so bad, I wouldnt sand or take any more wood from where the chrysals are it will just make them worse. Goerge has some good tips for not nessecarily fixing them but hopefully taking some stress off that potion of the limb or stopping them from getting worse. I have also stopped chrysals in there track by using a method from tbb forgot wich one but you put pin wholes across the top and bottom of the chrysal and it helps or can stop them from getting worse. I would go with the other bow or if you have enough time start another if thats what you want to do. Good luck

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 03:00:04 am »
Thanks for all the sound advice guys. This bow will definitely not be mailed out. I really like the second bow but have some special finishing work to do on it. I may try to get another made just so I have a couple of options before sending a bow in the mail. I'll definitely post any possible trade bows when they are finished.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 06:11:19 am »
Yup, thems chrysals. The guys have said most of it already.
I'd just add...DON'T sand 'em it will ony encourage fresh wood to crease up, also keep the bow and shoot it anyhow just to see how the performance is effected and if it deteriorates, I've had a few bows with fine chrysals like that which have maintained performance, not taken set and shot well.
Del
(I could sell you some of my special anti chrysal pills ::), I've re-packaged them from when I used to play golf and sell 'em as anti-slice pills :o)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.