Author Topic: need some advice on sinew and snake skin  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Bow Nut

need some advice on sinew and snake skin
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:37:00 pm »
OK just got my skins in today and have never used them on a bow before.  do I remove the scales and how. and I put sinew on the back of this bow it has been curing for 5 days and feels very hard and dry but I cant imagine that it is  considering I soaked it in water rung it out then soaked it in glue.  How long should I wait before tillering any advice?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:06:47 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: need some advice on sinew and snake skin
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:19:37 pm »
What type of glue did you use? How many layers?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »
I used titebond II and it is one layer but might as well be 2 it is very thick I made it thick on purpose as this is a short bow and Is going to be bending alot.  I will be using Tite bond II on the snake skin as well.  I have seen where people have actually removed the scales from the skin and some that dont and dont know what is best.  I thinking to remove them as they pretty much like to fall off anyway

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
I would let the sinew get good and dry, then finish tillering the bow.  I put the skins on the bow after I have shot it several hundred times to make sure it is going to hold up.  Put the skins on and let it dry.  Then remove the scales.  I use blue painters tape.  The pattern should show up better once the scales are removed.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »
thanks for the advice I have not started the tillering did not want to until sinew is cured.  I made sure to put the sinew on it first because it is short did not want to bust it in tillering and thought the sinew would help prevent any problems. it feels good and dry but im sure it is not how do you tell when it is done since it is so hard and dry felling now?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:06:35 am »
A good rule of thumb for sinew backing is 1...2...3.

One month of drying, floor tiller again.  Wait a 2nd month and long string tiller.  Wait a third month and short string tiller.  Sinew has a way of taking it's own sweet time coming to full cure.  Be sure to excercise the bow three times more than you would with a plain stave between scrapings, and go easy.  Stalk the tiller like you would stalk the wariest of whitetail bucks in a heavy hunted woods and you'll end up with good results.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:07 am »
I've gotten by with TB2 waiting two weeks, but I live in Central Fl and it's hot. Stick it on the dash of your car or truck for a day with the windows up and it will speed even TB up faster. I also like to remove the scales before I start handling the skins with glue on my hands. That way I don't have some that are stuck down on the skin if I try to remove them afterwards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:34 pm »
Thanks for all the advice I knew it took a while but geez.  as long as I have it done by deer season I will be happy.  Thanks all for the help

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »
well if she comes out nice I already have a name for it.  Thunder bolt.  While I was working on the profile a bit last night lightning struck my shop.  It is all metal construction.  Scared the poop out of me.  I literally sounded like some one put a deer rifle next the each of my ears and pulled the triggers.  Loudest sound I have ever heard my ears are still ringing.  My shop is ok other than It fried my circut breaker box and I will have to replace that.  It seems fitting I guess.  I am just thankfull I was not touchting any walls in my shop or I might not be naming it at all.  It also fried my ac unit to my house.  and My big screen tv.  I hope I fall into a pile of money soon. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »
I'm just glad you're alive to tell the tale.  Of course, being close to all that much electricity, you probably glow a little in the dark. 

Have to start eating your steak a little less done because it will finish cooling on the way down. 

On the downside, you'll have to get someone else to pound nails for you now...you'll never strike twice in the same place again!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.