Author Topic: Hazelnut bow width?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

Hazelnut bow width?
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:44:20 am »
Hi there,

I'm working on a hazelnut stave that a friend kindly gave me (thanks Del).  I've not used hazel before and am wondering what is a minimum safe width with this timber.  I got a bad split in the stave when roughing it out with an axe which has left me with just 1.5" mid limb - whereas I was aiming for 1.75" or maybe even 2".  I will be heat treating the belly.  There's about 67" of length to play with and a little bit of propeller twist. 

The first lesson is hazel splits unexpectedly so don't work it with an axe!

Any thoughts - should I just carry on with care (final weight will only be a bout 45lbs anyway), should I piece a bloom into the affected area, should I add some raw hide for extra safety??

Thanks

Stan

Offline johnston

Re: Hazelnut bow width?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:46:49 am »
Stan I have never worked with hazel but if you can get Del to send me a stave I'll give it a try
and get back to you. Better yet, send 2 ;D.

Or have patience and a real bow builder will probably be along shortly.

Lane

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »
I'm no expert by any means. But I built a hazelnut (us native Oregonians call them filberts) that was 1.5" wide and 62" long that came out to 45#@28".
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »
1.5 inches is a bit more narrow that I like when making stiff-handled bow out of hazelnut. Mine usually end up about 1.75".  Keep it long, and heat treat the belly and you should be alright.
Gordon

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:23:04 pm »
Thanks guys - the stave is what it is, so I guess I'll just press on, keep it long and not be ambitious with the weight.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Stan