Author Topic: how good is kentucky coffeebean wood for bows  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Bow Nut

how good is kentucky coffeebean wood for bows
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »
I know some one with it and just curios how good it is?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:11:12 pm by Bow Nut »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: how good is kentucky coffeebean wood for bows
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:15:48 pm »
Bow nut this list is on this site somewhere but I cant find it but here is a big list of different woods that can be used for bows I saved it in my favorites ;D

http://sites.google.com/site/onemississipp/bowwoods

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »
Thanks guys I am going to print that list up.  NO more questions on what woods are good. Yeppy. ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »
Hey it dont hurt to ask ;) I always try the search function before I ask but sometimes there just aint allot to go off of. Looks to be some good wood! Look forward to seeing what you get out of it if you harvest any nice staves.

Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:16 pm »
Here's another list with comments on each type

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6213#.TgELNWfEb7g

Offline ErictheViking

"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:47 pm »
After looking at both list I have a question on the use of one wood.  The tree of Heaven grows at a rate of one to five feet a year.  How can such a fast growing tree make a good bow?  It would seem to me that no matter the SG that it would be too brittle.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 01:36:50 am »
Polar bear im no pro but from what I do know some woods are better with tighter growth rings where others are better with big growth rings. For an example I am pretty sure ( I might be wrong) Osage that has large growth rings, wich to me that says it grows fast if the rings are bigger would be better where Yew with tight growth rings is said to be better than yew with larger growth rings. Im not sure if that makes since but I hope it does, maybe someone else can explain it better if you start a new thread asking the question ???

Josh