Author Topic: question about a cheap way to seal staves  (Read 4587 times)

Offline osage outlaw

question about a cheap way to seal staves
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »
I stopped in Lowes today to pick up some shellac to seal some osage staves with.  As I walked into the paint area, I noticed a shelf with cans of mis-tinted paint and stain at a greatly reduced price.  There were a lot of deck stain cans, and I even saw a can of minwax polyshade marked down.  I know the polyshade would work, but what about the rest?  Would paint or deck water seal work as well as shellac?  I am a budgeted bowyer and always looking to save money, but I don't want to risk loosing staves to save a few dollars.  I ended up buying the quart of shellac for $14, but saved the reciept.  I think I might return it and get the polyshade.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: question about a cheap way to seal staves
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »
Yep, the "oops" paints and sealers will work.  The deck stain will work of water beads up on it.  I use latex paint or woodworkers glue.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:18:56 pm »
I went to the store this morning to pick up some Shellac and I couldn't believe how they have jacked the price up on these Shellac's and Poly's. I gave 17.99 for a quart of Shellac. My wife bought me a gallon of Poly this winter at out Local Farm and Home store for 3.00. It was a close out off brand Poly. I should have jumped back in the car and went and bought more. The price of making staves is definitely going up. Dean

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »
  When I first started I used spray paint for years. ANYTHING to slow or stop the moisture from leaveing the ends faster than the back. Best to seal completely. I spray mine them go back and respray in a month or so. Did well over 50 or more like this. I still have a couple osage sprayed there over 20 years old. I've used just plain old wood glue for a long time. Works really good if you have to seal the whole bow or stave. Can't get any cheaper than dollor spray paint.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »
guys  get ur poly at wally world heck i pay 9.99 a gallon polys poly far as im conderd brock

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »
Go stick it in a cold stream for the first few months or so. Or go down to your local swamp and get some of that black,thick,gooey,sludge mud and slap it on the ends. I've actually done this for temporary and it worked. Not sure about long term. You might have to recover with mud every month. It wood be free tho. Anyone ever try that long term.  ::)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:18:17 pm »
I returned the shellac and bought two dented cans of polyurethane.  Double the amount for $3.00 less.  I like shellac, but the poly will have to do for that price.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »
Osage outlaw, we have an old time hardware store here that still carries the bags of shellac flakes. It is pretty cheap buying shellac that way, and by mixing it like that the shelf life is extended. Some of the stuff at the box stores has just been there to long and isn't suitable anyway. Perhaps you will run across one of the old time shops like that sometime, and save some mullah.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:03:38 am »
"Or go down to your local swamp and get some of that black,thick,gooey,sludge mud and slap it on the ends. I've actually done this for temporary and it worked."

I do that when I'm out in the field and cutting wood until I can get em home and cut and seal properly. It has kept osage staves that are sitting out in the hot summer sun for hours from checking until I can get em. I think it keeps the moisture from leaving the ends too fast as it's basically caking moisture right on it.

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:06:03 am »
Yep, the "oops" paints and sealers will work.  The deck stain will work of water beads up on it.  I use latex paint or woodworkers glue.

This is how I do it glue or I have 5 gal of exterior house paint I use too.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 07:28:13 am »
Paint will work,I don't like it because I can't see the grain on the end of the stave
later when I am picking one,I just use cheap wood glue mixed with water about
2/3 glue 1/3 water and put it on with a brush,very cheap and easy to remove. :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:50 am »
If you plan on doing any steam bending/correction to a green stave, then you better stick with shellac.

Just my 2 cents from many years of experience. ;)