Author Topic: Heat treating osage?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline snag

Heat treating osage?
« on: July 15, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »
I have a bow that has some reflex put into the limbs by heat. I am tillering the bow now. I know you can heat treat limbs to add more strength or stiffness to them. Since these limbs have already been heated to bend them will it hurt to heat them again to "heat treat" them? Or is it necessary to heat treat them unless I am just wanting to add poundage to the limbs? Seems like with hazelnut wood you heat treat the belly. Just didn't know if there was any benefit to doing this with osage?  I guess what I am worried about is if I heat temper the belly will that effect the reflex in the limbs?  If not, how much do I heat them? Just until they are hot to the touch?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:49:28 pm by snag »
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat treating osage?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:21:09 am »
Osage is very strong in tension and compression! With good tillering practices you can build a very good osage bow without heat treating. Heat treating is not a cure for set or underweight bows. If used in your bow building regiment to help achieve more performance, heat treating osage does improve an almost perfect bow wood.  By heating in the backset you have already heat treated your bow somewhat.
  Whitewoods seem to benefit the most from heat treating by increasing the compression strength of the normally compression weak wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snag

Re: Heat treating osage?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:54 am »
Thanks for that clarification Pat.  Just wanted to do the right thing.  I appreciate the help.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.