Author Topic: Holiday Points  (Read 2198 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Holiday Points
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:19:20 am »
Took some time this afternoon to chip on some rock.  Did fine on some Texas flint but am fighting a stubborn piece of obsidian I got from Neuse.  Beautiful stuff, but sure is intolerant of my novice mistakes.  I have one side thinned reasonably well, but a bad step fracture is fighting me on the other side.  Took a break from pounding to swim a little.  Gonna go keep after it until the neighbors start their fireworks shows.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Holiday Points
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 01:42:34 am »
Well, I was able to drive a flake from the other side and remove the step.  It went too deep though and I lost some width.  I doubt it's 7/8" wide.  This was pretty rock.  I didn't get it finished before the fireworks began.  Gonna be awhile before we'll be able to sleep.  Not sure what kind of point to finish it into.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:43:38 am »
Looks good I would just pressure flake the tip to a point and dove tail the back and call it done. Good job on the step!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:49:01 am »
nice . i really like that texas point.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »
Well, I gave the dovetail a shot.

Then, I picked out a spall to try to make a knife blade from.

But, I had a problem with a ridge running down that one side.  Kept stalling my flakes.

You can see I took a stab at running a flake down that ridge and missed.  So, I made a platform...

held my breath and smacked it hard...and it worked! ;D

I'll be darned.  Ended up with a small skinner blade.  Not sure I did the notching to haft it correctly.

Now I need to come up with a handle.  So much new stuff to learn. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:57:30 pm »
Yes now you got the idea on photo 3and 4 you set up a perfect platform and if you can do the same thing across the width of the blade you will have very good thinning flakes.  Now you can create the ridge by following the scare side of your first flake you remove.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:39:49 pm »
Stay at it son, You'll get there. I have been doing this for several years now and still have trouble some days. You have to hit alot of rock. I just hauled off 5 full five gallon buckets of debutauge...... :o and that was just from the past two weeks.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 08:33:48 pm »
Yikes, 25 gallons of chips from 2 weeks!!! :o  I've only dumped my tarp a couple times.  I did find an obsidian flake almost at the door of the shop, about 20' from where I'm knapping. :)  I knapp as much as I can

I went back into the 3 digit temps in the shop and made a quick handle for the little knife blade.  Not sure I like it, seems too large for a blade that small.  Feels good though.  Here's what it looks like.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »
Wow!  Very good points! :D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »
Well, your all over it George! Having fun and that's what it's all about. We do need to get together sooner than later i hope..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 07:00:42 pm »
Thanks, it is certainly fun.  Wish I had more time to knapp.  Any time you have time Paul, I'd love to get some pointers and/or some flint. :D

Still on for this weekend Patrick?  Might be just the 2 of us.  :(  Maybe I can get some more instruction? ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline flungonin

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 12:48:03 am »
George, I have some dark obsidian called Mahogany that looks exactly like that you are showing up top. Just hoping it comes out looking somewhere as good as yours. good job

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:12:46 am »
I hope it works out great for you.  I've been waiting to try another one.  Maybe tomorrow I'll give it another try.  I've got other obsidian I should probably play with before this beautiful stuff again.

Thanks, George
St Paul, TX