Author Topic: Thinning titebond  (Read 5374 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Thinning titebond
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:50:47 am »
I'm applying a cotton cloth to back one of my bows.  I'm assuming that I don't saturate the cloth in straight glue...I see lots of references to thinning glues to do this sort of thing, but how far do I go?  What ratio should I cut it down to?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Thinning titebond
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »
TB is quite thin already, I cant see why thinning it down more would help? I would use it right out of the bottle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:47:48 pm »
its water based so you can just thin it with water.  A little bit of water goes a long way so I wouldn't use much.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:39:45 pm »
I'd do it a few drops at a time.  If you over thin tight bond you'll "break" it.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:15:39 pm »
First I tape off the edges all the way around the bow, and trim it even with the back edges.
"this helps with clean up when completed, less glue to sand off the edges.
I use a damp cloth on the back of the bow first.
Then spread out a layer of Titebond III
Saturate the cloth in water, then wring it out.
Lay cloth on back of bow.
I then strategically duck tape the cloth so it removes any wrinkles, and adheres snugly to the bow and doesn't move.
I then lightly dampen again with a moist cloth.
Then spread out another coat of Titebond III.
Let it cure for 24 hours, then trim off the excess with a razor blade, or use a smooth file to remove the excess cloth around the edges.
The glue dries almost clear and will make a very nice, smooth, and durable finish.

Johnny
in Texas

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »
I basically do as bowjunkie, but i thin down some glue to saturate the cloth in, and i size the back of the bow, spread the glue and let almost dry, them spread more glue before applying backer, never used the duct tape trick though, just smooth it out with my fingers, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:24 am »
I usually stretch the fabric on a board, using a staple gun ti pin it down on both ends.  I pour on the TBII, and squeegee it around with my fingers until it has taken up into the fabric.  Then I use a razor knife to cut loose from the board and lay it out on the bow with a thin layer of TBII on the limbs.  Then the usual squeegeeing out the bubbles of air or excess glue.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.