Author Topic: African Bee  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: African Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 01:46:27 pm »
bowartist, the Africans actually don't mind the cold, they just don't usually store enough honey to get them through the long periods. However, people are the perfect host to solve that problem. They found a colony that was living in the attic and wall of a house in Cedar City Utah, about 50 miles north of me where the winter temps below zero are not uncommon and it may not get above freezing for weeks at a time. They estimate they had been there 3 years. If they can do that, all bets are off for their spread.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: African Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58:40 am »
Three years and still livin' w/o any keepin', they may be the new honey bee to keep.  I've seen pics of guys workin' AfBees in south America and they were using long hoses w/ a screen on the end to breath thru to keep the bees from getting iritated by their breath.  I'd only heard of them being in Texas, AZ, NM, FL.  Been a few years since I had had bee fever.  I ain't sceert though.  Plenty of stuff to be worried about.  My 7 yr. old nearly stepped on a timber rattler last Tuesday in our creek.  Said, "Papa, I was gettin' ready to step on a rock and all of a sudden it raised up in the air and that's when I saw the body".  I was steppin over the rattle when all this was happining.  Anyway, that has nothing to do w/ bees.   ::)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)