Author Topic: Tiles  (Read 1025 times)

Offline bushman

Tiles
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:34 am »
I can get some pieces of tile, bigger pieces like 4 x 6 x ½ inch thick but when I try to turn the edge with a antler billet I ether end shock them or I nock a flake off from one side and can’t seem to get the flake to come off from the other side when I flip it over. Anyone ever try them before and have any good tips they can pass along? I can get both porcelain and clay, the clay tiles you can use percussion on but they tend to crumble even when ground when you try to use pressure flaking on them but they are sharp when you use percussion on them but not for long I would think. Thanks.
Bushman

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Tiles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:57:03 pm »
I've walked tile yards looking for something knappable but didn't have any luck. Only stuff i've ever knapped was antique glass tile that somebody gave me. I would think that all that stuff out there now would be comparable to knapping toilet tanks. Come to think of it you might give that a try, maybe it works better. Really don't know..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »
If you get to where you just got to have something to knap, check out your local pet store that sells fish. Go to the tank decorations and see what they have. I have found obsidian and large melted chunks of glass as well as several types of rocks that look like they would knap. Hope this helps.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:49:01 pm »
go some where that sells plate glass and mirrors and see if they will check out there dumpster.
bryan irwin