Author Topic: Question about my ash sapling  (Read 1747 times)

Offline fusizoli

Question about my ash sapling
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »
Hy! Just like to know, what would U make from this. I 've two version for it.
As U can see it is a strange growth reaction wood. Most of it compression wood with nice rings and some part with very tight rings. It is 152cm long.

1. is an andaman molly 
2. is a high crowned "longbow" 

All version needs some correction but it is a menageable problem. Boths side is knotless! Just can't choose :)
Have pro and contra things in both.

Thanks Zoltan
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:06:11 pm by fusizoli »

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Question about my ash sapling
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »
I would go for the longbow. It is hard to tell. I just have alot of fun making longbows anymore. :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:42 pm »
My vote is for #1. The Andaman-holmgaard. Maybe im being bias because I was shooting in one today and aboslutley love how smooth,fast,and accurate this design is. If you've never made one then you gotta try it. I start my Eiffel tower taper for the stiff levers 1/3 from the end of the limb(measuring from fade to tip)  so whatever that measurement is times it by 1/3 and use that number and make a mark from the tips and that's where you start your taper. I guess you can go a little longer or shorter and deviate from those calculations. And make sure you go narrow enough in the levers. Don't be scared to make the last 2-3" down to a 1/4" wide, and just make sure you leave just enough meat to keep em stiff

That's my longwinded two cents...lol

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »
Zoltan,
     That's a nice piece of Maple....I've seen yer bows so go for the Molle it will turn out super I'm sure. I've shot a lot of Mollegabets and think they shoot really hard and draw smoothly.
rich

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:47:05 pm »
Zoltan I just aint qualified to give advice to a man of your talent.

But I sure do like longbows. However using Rich's formula for molle's has produced my hardest hitting, smoothest bows so....

Lane

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:57:03 am »
Thanks guys!

I like the first better too and this wide form allowe to make a wide limb molly with thiny heat treated levers :)

Just one thing. The ring ratio is not equal in the wood. So one side of the limb will contain more dense compression wood  than the other. Hope it could compensate with heat treat and tiller....

Rich, this is flowering ash and not maple. Common tree here, made all of my ash bows from this.

Offline druid

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:36:39 pm »
Make some siyahs and bend threw!