Author Topic: how many.  (Read 4287 times)

Offline butch

how many.
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:00:36 am »
how many strands of linen waxed cord from wallmart to make a string for 68" -60# hickory ,..    thanks, couldnt do this without the team.  butch

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
Re: how many.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 03:40:46 am »
Hi Butch. That would depend on the tensile strength of the linen cord. I use 6 strand 38lbs linen. I also make my strings with enough strands to equal 4 times the draw weight give or take a little. So for 60 lbs it would be about 6 lengths of linen cord. This may be a bit excessive, but I don't make high performance bows yet anyway. Just want to make sure I keep my bows safe. Hope this helps. Mike.
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Minuteman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:16:01 pm »
You gotta test the breaking strength of the material you have.
 Wrap it around the hook of a hanging scale with a timber hitch and pull down til it breaks recording the weight when it does. Do this with a 2 foot piece ,3 ft, 4 ft ,and 5 ft then average the breaking weights and thats the average tensile strength.
 I used to make linen strings only and theres a wide range of tensile strengths even in the same size linen cord from the same company. Don't bonk yer head wih the scale.

Offline butch

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:59:18 am »
thanks... information is valuable..    butch

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 02:22:50 am »
I use the 7 ply and use around 10 strands, I like 6 times bow weight, Steve

jamie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:12:33 am »
like minuteman said dont ever go by what they tell ya for breaking strength. always test it yourself. its always 5-10 lbs weaker than what its rated . peace