Author Topic: problem child(pic.heavy)  (Read 6441 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: problem child(pic.heavy)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 03:58:17 am »
Ok finally after waiting 13 hrs.for the pics.to upload here is the MONEY SHOTS!!!  ;)

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 04:19:13 am »
You were right, it's a little stiff on the outer limbs, but well balanced.  There defininately comes a point where it shoots well and does what you want regardless of what textbook tiller says it should be.  You obviously found that point and had the good sense to quit while you were ahead. Great job on a real challenge.   Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 04:59:21 am »
I turnd them out slightly do you think it looks to far out pf wack  ??? It had some slight set but like I said it draws and shoots AWSOME :o thanks all for any ;) advice

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:55 am »
Very nice work, ,Tiller looks fine to me. Sometimes you take what you get and looks like you got pretty good stuff. :) :) Great job on some challenging wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 09:38:45 am »
Very nice my friend!  This is exactly why I think osage is such a great bow wood.  You can make a bow with bendy tips, or you can tiller it with the outer limbs pretty stiff.  It will still make a great bow that will shoot hard and last long.  Even if it gets abused and takes some set, it still will shoot well.  And, most times in failure it goes out with dignity.  For me, it is the king of bow woods.  I feel blessed to live where it grows and compelled to help as many people as I can get a shot at building a bow with it.

Congrats Mr Soy, that's a beautiful bow out of a challenging set of billets.  Now, go make some meat with it. ;D

JW, I'm gonna send you a set of even rattier billets, we'll see if you can leave them alone. >:D

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:47:12 am »
Yup...gotta love osage. Now go pick up some backstrap with her ;)

Sometimes photos take awhile to upload if your in poor cell coverage and if you try to do too many at once. I always make sure im in 100% full cell coverage,and only do a few at a time,and that seems to work a lot better.

I've been wrestling a nasty narrow/semi short piece o yeller wood off n on. It started with a doglegged limb that had the string 3"+ out from the handle,severe prop twist in both limbs(50 degrees in each),a 5/8" branch sticking out of it,two spots of 4" long laminar seperation on the sides,a small check,deflex n reflex kinks,some snakey,and a crack that runs off the edge straight into the bow almost half way across(which has been wrapped),and I think im gonna get a bow outta her.....maybe....im almost ready to brace it...... BUT yup......gotta love osage. ;)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »
Can't wait to see that one blackhawk  >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 06:42:27 pm »

JW, I'm gonna send you a set of even rattier billets, we'll see if you can leave them alone. >:D

George

noooooooooooooooo    :'(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 12:05:26 am »
Love the way this bow turned out. Sometimes I think we all get caught up in "purty". This bow looks mean.

George tell the truth... Is osage that much better than hickory? soy turned out something real nice here just think what he could have done with a top notch whitewood!!

Lane

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 06:32:13 am »

George tell the truth... Is osage that much better than hickory? soy turned out something real nice here just think what he could have done with a top notch whitewood!!

Lane
[/quote]

I got to love them all, if they got curves I love them even more .that being said im not shure if a similar white wood would have endured my incompetent treatment with the same results  ::)
Thad

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:19 pm »
Lane,

Hickory is a great bow wood too. In a dry climate  I doubt there's much difference.  I've never livedin a dry climate tho. Bout to make my first elm & crepe myrtle bows. Perhaps my opinion of the best bow wood will change?

George
St Paul, TX