Author Topic: #2 suggestions  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Shondy55

#2 suggestions
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:29:29 pm »
hey guys i just finished my first bow (red oak long bow) and was looking at making a shorter bow possibly as a christmas present for my cousin... it would be used more for hunting.  anyways i was wondering what kind of wood other than red oak would be somewhat easy to find and affordable.  also dimesions for a shorter bow would be appreciated! thanks
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: #2 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:31 pm »
How about Hickory or Pecan?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »
Your location would help considerably.  Are you wanting to make a board bow, limb bow or stave?  I'm guessing board bow if you want to make this Christmas.  That being the case, I would recommend hard maple, hickory, or black walnut.  Menards usually carries all three types plus oak and maybe even cherry.  You might consider rawhide backing if you have a hard time finding straight grained wood.  That would increase your options considerably.  Hope this helps,  Josh

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:40:44 pm »
thanks gun doc! that really helps i live in kansas but in the suburbs so i was looking to make a board bow from something you could find at the store but that helps a ton!... which of those woods you mentioned do you think would be the best for something around 55# @28inch?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:07 am »
I would rank from best to worst(easiest to most difficult) in this order hickory,oak,maple,black walnut, and cherry.  As you get further down the list, the wider and longer the bow needs to be.  Also, the more touchy they are about tiller.  For a bend in the handle d-bow 56 to 60 in. ntn .  1 1/2 " wide at the handle for hickory, increase that width by 1/8" as you go down the list. For a stiff handle, add the length of the non working handle to overall length.  Same width guidelines as with the d-bow. Cherry is a bit touchy, a soft backing would be highly  recommended.  These are just general guidelines I use and are in no way set in stone.  Everybody has there own way and preferred wood, this is just what I have learned in my limited experience.  BTW, congratulations on your first bow, may there be many more to come,  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:09:58 am »
Hickory would be a great candidate for Kansas' dry climate.
 Shondy, have you looked over George Tsoukalas' site. It has everything you need to know from beginning to end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »
thanks guys! that is a huge help! i've narrowed it down to either hickory or maple