Author Topic: Wormy Maple ?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline johnston

Wormy Maple ?
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »
Found a new source of bow wood and after ordering some hickory the guy asked what other
woods would work. Really like this fellow. He has tats of deer tracks up one leg and turkey down the other.
Anyhow he called this stuff wormy maple. Anybody know anything about it?

He also gave me some birch and all I know about that is what the TBB has to say. Can you help
a brother out about that too ?

Thanks,

Lane

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Wormy Maple ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:25:24 am »
Maybe he's talking about Curly Maple. It has waves in the grain that look like Curly Maple. Let's see "Curly"  "Wormy". Never heard of it referred to as Wormy? Does Vine Maple have these same waves in the grain? Anyway that would be beautiful if you could work a bow out of it and bring the grain out with some stain. I've used Curly in traditional bows years ago and it is gorgeous! Google "Flame Maple" and look at it under "Wikipedia the free encyclopedia" and you will see a pic exactly like what you have. It has many names. It's not actually the grain, it's the figure of the wood.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 06:05:51 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:09 am »
  I am not an expert on maple, but I have seen a few guys advertise soft maple as "wormy maple"

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:00:07 am »
Donald you are right about the resemblance, maybe it is curly. ken75 made a couple pretty
bows out of curly maple but then he can make nice stuff out of most anything.

Turtle I have gotten ahold of soft maple by mistake and in my hands it ain't bow wood.
This is different wood, rather heavy. Bow wood? I'll have to get back on that.

Thanks for the help fellers. Gonna give it a try.

Lane

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:02:44 pm »
The guy that I buy curly maple from for gun stocks, also sells wormy maple.It is not a species designater  but a character  description.  It has borer holes through  it some are tiny, some are pretty good size holes and channels.  Josh