Author Topic: Narrowing a working handle?  (Read 3612 times)

TurtleCreek

Narrowing a working handle?
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:05:00 pm »
  In regards to Modoc and Paddle style bows, how much can you narrow a working handle in comparison to the limb width at the end of the fades and still be on the safe side?  Not too many PA issues long ago, there was an article entitled "Paddling to Primitive Archery" in which there was a Modoc bow that had a narrowed handle that appeared to me to be a working one and I thought it would be an interesting style for me to try sometime soon.  Thanks for the help in advance and if any of you know if the author is on here, I would like to get in touch with him to see what dimensions he used on that bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Narrowing a working handle?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »
When I make bendy handled bows I just leave the handle area thicker from the beginning and as the tillering progresses I work the working portions of the limb back into the "fade" area. I like to feel the handle give right at full draw.  By leaving the handle area thick I can reduce the width considerably to make it more comfortable to shoot. 
  I think starting with the handle area about 3/4" thick for a 4" handle then taper to the tips. I never measure these things so I'm only guessing at the thicknesses.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:07:03 pm »
Be careful, there is a fine balance between thickness and width when you are dealing with bendy handles. Get it wrong and the handle area will fail. It's best to leave the handle a bit stiff and wide until you get a feel for it.
Gordon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »
Whitewoods I leave maybe 1/4" more narrow at the grip and get over it! Osage I do as Pat described. Osage will allow for allot more wiggle room width and thickness wise. I just play it safe I guess. I have a little 60" osage static curve that works as Pat described. Pretty cool feeling.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »
Gordon, that is why I leave the handle area a bit stiff until most of the tillering is done then get the inner limbs working more as I hit full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:19:29 pm »
I agree Pat, that's a good way to do it.
Gordon

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:56:08 pm »
Not that I'm an expert on West Coast bows, but I heard it on good word that, that particular Modoc bow is 50" ntn, with 1-7/8" wide limbs, tapering to 7/16" tips.  The grip is purportedly 1-1/2" wide and slightly thickened; bending, but not as much as the limbs.  It's reported to be osage, drawing 65# @ 25", with a circular tiller.  Seems the belly is slightly radiused, for what can be managed in such a wide, thin bow.  Found this picture, somewhere...  8)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:00:51 am by Alpinbogen »

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
TC,  tried to post ya up some museum pics so ya could see how the Innuit paddle bows were done, but the site won't take them......send me an Email (    rousseau.rd@att.net  ) and I'll send them to you......if that will help at all
rich

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:40:00 pm »
Basically, the thinner from side to side, the thicker from front to back it should be, and vice versa I suppose.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 02:12:51 pm »
The board I plan on making the bow from is 3/4 inches thick.  I plan on leaving that thickness for the handle, 1.5 inch fade, and starting the limb thickness at 5/8 inches then tapering it from there to 3/8 thick at the tips for a starting point. 

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:41 am »
I like the looks of that bow ALP.