Author Topic: Shot for two hours today  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Nidhoggr

Shot for two hours today
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:40:42 pm »
I shot at an archery range for about 2 hours today. An hour on a 10 yard target and an hour on a 20 yard target.  While i could place on the target 9 times out of 10, I wasn't able to consistently group them. I assume this comes with practice.

An issue I was having was with the bow hand (left hand) I had to extend an index finger to make a U shape to rest the arrow on. When i tried to rest it just on a knuckle, the arrow slid around.   Any tips?

I also realized that my stance was goofy at first.  I looked into that and remedied it.  Improved my shots a LOT.

The bow is 50# @ 28".  Arrows are 31".

youngbowyer

Re: Shot for two hours today
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:08:49 pm »
I had problems with grouping at first, make sure you have a consistent anchor point and release. other than that, just keep practicing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »
You are probably gripping the string while drawing. This will cause the arrow to slide off the rest(bow shelf, hand). Use your fingers like a hookand pull straight back without gripping.
  Start at 10 yards and shoot until you feel confident at that range. Then step back a few stepd and shoot more until you get confident then move back, etc,etc. Occasionally go back to 10 yards and try that again.
  Also, pick a spot!!! Don't shoot at the target, find a small spot on the target and concentrate on hitting that spot.
  In traditional archery consistancy is crutial like Youngbowyer said.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:29 pm »
Well these guys have given almost all the good advise a person can give. But I wan't to add to Pat's string gripping that is the most common problem but I've noticed with my kids and a few friends that they would try to hold the string at the second nuckle when I got them to hold it at the first nuckle closer to the finger tips problem cured. Also I know from my own experience from back when I lost my pin sights and train'n wheels shooting with both eyes open created consistancy.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:23:58 am »
there's technically no arrow rest.  The bow has a hemp wrap handle and that's it.  I'll play around with it hopefully friday when i go back to the range.

Thanks for all the advice thus far!

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:23:49 am »
You might try canting the bow a bit more. But also, I don't see the harm in the finger crook method if you
are consistant with it. I try to correct one element of form at a time and might shoot a thousand arrows
really focusing on that one thing.  Have also found that I cannot shoot accurately while working on form.
Much better to not worry where the arrow hits until your form, all components, is good.

I don't pay attention to spine or weight until I am satisfied that my actions are smooth enough not to
throw the shot. From there on, for me, it just takes repetition. A lot of it. I mean a whole bunch. Talking
about years.

Lane

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50:50 am »
Hopefully I'll be able to do this for years and years.  I VERY much enjoyed the time I spent on it today. 2 hours felt like 5 minutes.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »
I'm far from an expert on shooting, but I highly recommend checking out the Masters of the Barebow series.  Get the foundation right from the start and you won't have any bad habits to un-learn later.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:30:50 pm »
I prefer to shoot off the knuckle and none of my bows have rests. Cant your bow to the side and use the very tips of your fingers to pull the string with a straight hand. The knuckle provides a very wide "self" compared to most cut in shelves so if you are having trouble, you have something to correct in your form ... Check out youtube, and various books and dvds and like others said, learn right the first time!!!! It is much easier to learn something right than try to unlearn it. Good luck and shoot straight.

Jon

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »
What books would you reccomend? I will definitely check out MotB.

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:59:28 am »
Something that has helped me is watching RangerB's vids on YouTube and then copying/incorporating
what I see. He might only be an admiral but the man can shoot.

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:51:57 pm »
G. Fred Asbell's "Instinctive Shooting" is where I learned to shoot instinctively.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »
"Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera is a great book for learning every step of the process.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis