Author Topic: Hafting ??  (Read 2971 times)

Offline chief deer

Hafting ??
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »
I posted this on PP and thought I would post here too. Why do so many folks that spend time crafting a blade and knife combo wrap it with nylon string?  To me is really distracts from the piece especially when gut is so easy to use. I think it is about ten times as easy and much quicker not to mention to me is looks a lot better. Mike Smyth

Offline iowabow

Re: Hafting ??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »
Maybe it is what is available to them. Personel preference or maybe they dont want to touch the stuff. I like using sinew.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:23:01 pm »
I know what u mean about artificial sinew...just dosent fit. I like the real thing. I've used gut a couple times as well. All natural for me :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »
Im a firm believer in keeping it as primitive as you can. That is why i got into this, I wanted to try to replicate the past. I realize that everyone has to start somewhere and it was no different with me. First deer i killed with a primitve bow was with an aluminum arrow and steel broadhead. At that time I couldn't make everything I can now. And, frankly, didn't have the knowledge. Thats what is beautiful about this site. Start where  you are and end up where you quit. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and if we  want we can all continue to grow. But I have to be careful I'm not too critical of other s who ain't there yet.

Just my take.

Offline chief deer

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »
Don't take it wrong I am certainly not criticizing any ones work.  Natural materials are available at most grocers so I was just wondering.  Mike Smyth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:10:29 pm »
I agree, even if you don't have sinew available wally World sells thin hemp that works real good and is natural. Also silk thread works.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chief deer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:05:29 pm »
Look in the meat seasoning isle or maybe right out  in the meat isle and you can usually find little packs of salted sausage casings. They are in a little red striped pack and cost a couple bucks. These are gut cases and just need a good rinse and they are ready to use. You need no glue just split the gut and wrap on like a roll of tape. Once dry you will be hard pressed to find any seams or the end  where you stopped. If you like it then you can maybe order a hank from the butcher. This is about two pounds and will haft a hundred or so knives.  Here is a tip for easy splitting. Stick one end on the end of a faucet and fill with water. Once full you can easily slip a good pair of scissors inside the tube. Mike Smyth

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:13:05 am »
I use both natural & artificial Seinew. For me it depends on who the knife is for. Some folks have good money & want a handsome stone knife w/an antler handle. They don't care if its to period or an authentic replica. Some people like the pressuered blades over the percussioned ones.  Having said all that when I show a potential customer the two(to period & modern) they usually chose modern. Personally I prefer to period . Some people may not have tried native yet. They will if they keep reading this site!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chief deer

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:57 am »
Tower that is a good point. There are difference's in knife type's and people preference. For the fancy art knives I wouldn't want gut. I really like the way Dale Cannon makes his flake over grind and hafts it to a polished stone handle. For most antler,bone  or wood handles  I like the old look better. Mike Smyth

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 06:53:30 pm »
I prefer the look of gut or sinew on knives or points myself.  Artificial sinew on a natural knife handle looks kinda like gangsta whitewalls on a station wagon...just sayin'

Jim

P.S.  My computer crashed & burned a couple of months ago during deer season and I finally found the time and some of my passwords & such to post here again.   :)
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline chief deer

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »
Another sinew and gut tip. You can dye it with grape, blueberry, cranberry, or any such juice that has color. I usually put the gut in coffee for a real rich brown.  You won't notice the change in color so much until it drys. Food color works  well also. Never done it but you could make some cool color contrasts on a sinew back bow with dyes. Mike Smyth

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:17 pm »
Maybe soaking my sinew in coffee will make it taste alittle better when I chew it huh?  Tea stains good too; that's what my dentist says.  :-[  So CD, can you soak the sinew then let it dry and work it later or do you soak it right before working it?  I finally got interested in this post. 

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:49:19 pm »
On the original discussion,...I like the sinew/natural wrap too, but just saying...when you sew up sheaths and bags and mocs, etc...do you use gut and sinew?  I'm fixin to use rawhide on my next sheath, but sure have used a bunch of imitiation sinew in the past.  I say use what you feel comfortable w/ and and have and move on when you're ready, just keep doin it and havin fun.  No need to worry about it or what others think. IMO.   ;)dpgratz  Thanks for the info on gut, got a local butcher I'll hit up for some. Probably be hog.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:46:46 am »
If you are going to use artificial sinew,(nylon) the unwaxed looks really good. I got a roll at the Classic two years ago from Eric's Rocks. It is not as shiney and takes glue real good.

Jim, glad to see you back on, missed ya'.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?