Author Topic: Nose to tail 60 inch black bear. How big is that. Pics added  (Read 3175 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Nose to tail 60 inch black bear. How big is that. Pics added
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:05:42 am »
A black bear I harvested back when I was a young man measured 60 inches nose to tail. How big is that? Average? Just curious.

Thanks,
 Cipriano
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:36:11 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Nose to tail 60 inch black bear. How big is that.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:23 am »
It depends on where your from. We have some mega blackies up here because of the fall mast and berries. I shot a 7 foot boar that weighed 300#. Thats just a decent bear for us. My guess is you bear weighed about 150# hanging.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:37:15 am »
60" black bear?  Lemme see, that would be...carry the 4, divide by...and then calculating...about 5 ft. 

Heck, that's only five feet bigger than any I have shot!    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:04 am »
Pearly it was in Northern California up near Mt Shasta. Just a ways from McCloud up Stouts Meadow Rd back in 91.

JW it was the ultimate experience. With a bow I received as a gift from my uncle for graduating high school. It was a Hoyt Raider. I still have that bow.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »
Awesome deal there Cip! What a way to get a bear, the size is meaningless in this story. I have a few 700# blackie pics stashed. One was from upper NY state last fall.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »
Of all the big game to hunt with a bow, black bear on the ground with no bait is at the very top of the list. 

But any bear, any way, with a bow is pure bragging rights trophy material.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »
pics

Offline criveraville

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:35:50 pm »
pics.  I am not in the pics because I was alone.  I wrote a poem a bout the experience and sent it to Ed for consideration on being published in PA mag. 

Cipriano

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Nose to tail 60 inch black bear. How big is that. Pics added
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
That's an awesome bear Cipriano.  And in my opinion, any bear killed with a bow is an amazing accomplishment, no matter what the size is.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Nose to tail 60 inch black bear. How big is that. Pics added
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:09 pm »
Kinda like the rule "It don't take much osage to make a bow", the strength and ferocity of one of these bears defending themselves is amazing....don't take much bear to kill a man.  I don't care who's bow you are carrying, once you are in range of this animal you are in danger.  Wow, thanks for sharing, friend.