Author Topic: Ice Fishing with Dad  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Ice Fishing with Dad
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:36:38 am »
I was home last weekend to spend a bit of time with mom and dad.  Mom had both knees replaced a little over a month ago and dad has pretty much been playing nurse the whole time, so I think he was really wanting to get out of the house for a while.  So I brought all my gear and we headed out to a nearby lake to get a bit of fishing in.  Neither of us had caught anything for over a year so we didn't really have high hopes.  Turned out I caught a nice Northern Pike (or Jack as we call them), and then about an hour later dad pulled in the biggest fish he's ever caught.  My hand-auger drills a 6 inch diameter hole, and that bugger's head nearly got stuck in it :)  We measured him when we got home, it was just over 34 inches long.  It was kinda funny, because we were within 100 yards of where I caught my biggest fish a couple years ago.  And this one was almost mine too! He had a nibble on dad's bait, and then I saw him come into the screen on my underwater camera to check out my minnow.  I jiggled it slightly, but he wasn't pickin' up what I was puttin' down. He just looked at it for a few seconds and swam away.  Dad thought he had lost his minnow and started reeling his line in to check it, and then BAM, fish on!

Needless to say, we were both pretty happy with only catching one fish each :)  We ate good that night!

I figured some of you southern gents might like to see some pictures, so I brought my camera along.

Offline Jimbob

Re: Ice Fishing with Dad
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:52 am »
Thats pretty cool Cam,  are theses the same ones you posted on facebook?  For some reason I cant see alot of pics on the forum when Im on the computer at work.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
The great nord best winter activity! Same them skins for a bow Cam.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »
Ya, I don't know what I was thinking... the skins went into the gut pile and I'm sure they're coyote food by now.  Lee made a similar comment on my facebook page and I thought to myself "Damn it!".  Next time I guess...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:55:32 pm »
That bigger pike would have covered a 62" bow I bet ya' . I have my sights on a 36-40" this spring for a bow. Im dying to try it. It has to look super cool over osage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »
Ya, I don't know what I was thinking... the skins went into the gut pile and I'm sure they're coyote food by now.  Lee made a similar comment on my facebook page and I thought to myself "Damn it!".  Next time I guess...

>:D  Guess I was too late my friend...maybe if you get lucky again you can save some for a bow of yours, I'd love to see how they look over a pretty wood.  Best of Luck
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:35:23 pm »
nice catch buddy.we don't get any ice around here anymore.i sure miss the hardwater fishing.thanks for the look,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:09 pm »
  :D very cool that you were able to do that with your dad. looks like a blast.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:07 pm »

Cam say it isn't so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I thought I knew you better then that,,,,,,,,,,I can see we need to work with you an backings,,,,,,,,,,soon you'll be drooling over the fish in the super market in a whole new way.  LOL

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:32:56 am »
For you southerners...northern pike, a.k.a. jacks to the Canadians are famous for their copious mucosic excretions.  They are lovelessy called "snot rockets" by walleye fishermen.  Slimers, slough sharks, water wolf, freshwater barracuda, snakes, call'em what you will but they are delicious from cold water and fun to catch and release when the water warms up and they get a little muddy. 

My first gamefish...still my first love. 

Nice pair of fish, Cam.  Nothing like sitting in a shack with friends or family staring at your own icehole!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:22:57 am »
Those are some nice pikes!  I didn't realize there were ice fishing cameras out there.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 10:25:55 am »
Very nice day in the shanty with good company and fish to boot! Jealous, we haven't had winter in IN and I sure miss not drilling holes and decorating the ice with panfish. Thanks for the pics!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:17:07 am »
Cam thanks for posting this. Too cool!! I want to try it someday. I hope your mom is having a fast recovery. Those are some nice looking fish!! Wow!!! Pretty skins, but next time amigo  ;)

It does look a bit cold.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 02:34:13 am »
In my opinion..... nothing tastes quite like a nice big pike.
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"