Author Topic: New project  (Read 2653 times)

Offline MoNative

New project
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »
Now that my California bow is done and my horse bow is drying and waiting to get hide glue, I am going to build a Black Locust, probably midwestern indian style. Any thought or tips from you guys??
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: New project
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »
Now that my California bow is done and my horse bow is drying and waiting to get hide glue, I am going to build a Black Locust, probably midwestern indian style. Any thought or tips from you guys??

Make sure you got the right style :D :P just messing with yah man can't wait to see it.

A paiute bow would be cool.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline MoNative

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:25 am »
True. The thing I have discovered is that most all the central US Indian bow styles are very similar.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:47:59 am »
True. The thing I have discovered is that most all the central US Indian bow styles are very similar.

watch out you might get some heat for that statement lol

they each have there own special characteristic and special purpose for the style of hunting they where used for along with the environment. where i live i make my bows short. ranging from 31''-62''. bc the brush is so thick and difficult to get through some days. during dryer days i can use my sinew backed bows and what not but if there air is moist, which is 9 months out of the year ill use a self bow or something.

so for central US you have mostly small rolling hills or prairie land so you will probably have similar type of bow. go east or westward you get into the base hills of the Cascades or Appalachia.
these are just some assumptions other PA so go easy ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline MoNative

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »
True there man! Now to find a good stave.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:21:48 pm »
Locust likes to crysal so make sure that you taper the limb thickness with care. Good luck on your stave hunt.

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:16 pm »
Thanks guys. And is this a wood that I will be able to just cut a stave that is about the size of the handle?

Offline MoNative

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:22 pm »
Anybody???

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:15:44 pm »
Not alot differant from osage ,likes to be a little wider and not so thick !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29:09 pm »
never worked locust before. do what pearl drums does. when in doubt 68 long and 2 wide (or something like that)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »
Get rid of the sapwood, it will tear right across at the tiniest pin knot, and since your taking off the sapwood, leave the bark on while it dries, cause it likes to check too.  I'm planning to try working one down to bow dimensions green, then sealing it so it dries slow, just to see if that will work.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit