Author Topic: Laminated arrows?  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Laminated arrows?
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:20:43 am »
So I've got this piece of birch.  34" long 4/4 off cut.  I could make another taper sled with it I guess.  Or I could make some arrows.  I also have these pieces of carmelized bamboo off cuts.  I started thinking.  It might be kinda cool to make arrows out of the birch with a bamboo strip down them.  Is there a reason this would not work or is a bad idea?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Laminated arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:22:43 am »
Other than possibly being stiff(2 glue lines) they should work fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:21 am »
They would probably be a lot stiffer in one plane than the other.  But I don't think the glue lines themselves would be a problem.  I shoot hex-pine shafts that are 6 wedges of wood glued up and rounded into a shaft (picture the end of the shaft looking like a pie cut into 6 pieces), and with all that glue they can still be bought with a fairly low spine if required.  The nice thing about the hex-pine shafts is that the spine is virtually the same from any direction.

If you could somehow construct them like that it would be ideal, but that would be a lot of work!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:53 am »
See, I had this bad day at the range.

I was all over the place.  Like, I'd be lucky to hit a tame elephant while wearing a peanut hat.  I realized all my arrows are a different spine weight.  1/2 for a bow I traded away, and 1/2 for a bow I sold  :'(.

I've got some Ipe bows in the works now. >:D  and I thought that I need to make me a Sacred bow.  MY bow.  I'll make others like it if guys at the range want one but THAT bow is MINE.  And I'll need arrows for it.  Only like 5 or 12 or so.  So they may as well be cool.  And I don't like wasting material so I figured... split up that birch and use up that bamboo slices.

I considered the strong spine but I figured I'd put it verticaly so the arrow would still show some paradox.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:08 am »
Marc St Louis wrotec an article in PA about laminated arrows a few years ago. Maybe he will chime in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:41:10 pm »
i just got some laminated birch shaft's from pearlie in a trade and they shoot great, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:06:05 pm »
Laminated with what?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:41:43 am »
Lam'ed birch
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »
There is an excellent article in the magazine I saved just for this. I have made some. experimenting with different woods. Oak core with western red ceder. purpleheart cores. just trying different combos.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
There is an excellent article in the magazine I saved just for this. I have made some. experimenting with different woods. Oak core with western red ceder. purpleheart cores. just trying different combos.

Question is what sort of diameter is a good start for 50lb spines?

Woner what would happen if bamboo flooring were used?  Just plain?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 04:26:25 pm »
The birch I had are 5/16" at 50-55 spine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:36 am »
Laminated?  That's like plywood right?   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 03:24:29 am »
JW-  :o maybee.  I'm just trying to find an effective use for the wood and scraps while making some cool arrows.  I call myself a "New Primitive" archer.  I like the laminated bows but not fiberglass.

I look at that piece and thin kI could possibly get a core from it if I do a splice.  Or I could make the arrow shooting board. . . . decisions decisions.