Author Topic: Looking for good steel broadhead tutorial.  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Looking for good steel broadhead tutorial.
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »
I've searched high and low, and I just can't find any buildalongs or videos about making good solid broadheads. I've made a few broadheads on my own, but I've had a few issues with them so I'm looking for some sort of tutorial to put me on track.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Looking for good steel broadhead tutorial.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »
  I been useing old circlur saw mill blades for years. It's 1095 steel a good edge steel. Ialso make knives from it. I've made  a couple 100's for myself and others. I make mine 2 3/4  long 1 1/8 wide. I make the furale 1/2 by 3/8. And cut a  couple slots down each side. This helps with try on. I also so make back like ZWICKEYS angled in for easy removel from targets. Most saw mill blades are 1/8 inch thick. Smaller ones and a tad under 1/8. You don't have to take the temper out. You can make them as the are. But it's tuffer To shape the heads with the temper in.
   I aneal mine that takes the temper out. To do this all you have to do it heat the steel to a cherry red. After there made and shapen to a edge. You have to harden, reheat to cherry red and quench in veg. oil to it's cooled. If you don't shapen while it's solf before it's harden and tempered  it's be REALLY HARD TO SHARPEN. I retemper mine in the oven. Put on 400 and leave them in for a hour. Let cool and do it again.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING