Author Topic: Red oak with timber rattler  (Read 1797 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Red oak with timber rattler
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »
This was my first attempt at snake skin backing a bow.  Turned out pretty cool.  The bow is a 35# molle style red oak bow.  68" tip to tip.  I will post full draw pics later.  The snake was killed on our farm the other day - a dark color phase timber rattler.  Handle is natural color tanned deer skin.  What do you think?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Red oak with timber rattler
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:54:03 pm »
The pic did not show up, Howard.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:13:32 pm »
trying this again....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:15:20 pm »
okay....  a little photographically challenged, but it's coming together!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:25:55 pm »
Very nice bow!  Love those skins.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:35:00 pm »
Thanks George.  I built the bow to be a lightweight target bow for anybody to shoot.  It is long and sweet and shoots really good.  It has probably been shot a thousand times.....  I built it last summer.  It is sort of dry around here and the snakes are crawling a lot.   The snake was there.... and the bow was there....  so, the bow got a makeover.  I skinned the snake out and trimmed off the meaty belly meat portions along the edges.  Timber rattlers have a nice straight line down there backs so it is a pretty simple process to lay it out.  I washed it off with the hose and scraped all the remaining meat off the skin.  Dried it off with some shop rags and then glued it down with Tite bond.  Set it out in the sun for a couple of days and then put three coats of polyurethane on it.  Not near as difficult as I was expecting.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline dmc

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »
Snakes............... Love the look of them, hate the sight of them!  :o Hate to say this, but I'd push my own mom out of the way while I was departing. I saw a few while turkey hunting in Oklahoma. They creep me out too much. No snakes like that where I live in Canada.

Nice bow by the way. Would love to get my hands on some snake skins. They really set off a bow nicely. Great job, thanks for the pics.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:20:12 pm »
Fine job, Howard!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:07:02 am »
Thanks guys.  I think it was a fairly simple process - not near as much trouble as I was anticipating.  Snakes skin out pretty cleanly.  Most of the flesh seems to stick to the skin on the belly, which you are going to cut off anyway.  I applied it green, without any tanning procedure.  I coated the back with Tite bond and laid the skin in place.  I smoothed it out with my fingers, being sure to rub in the direction that the scales are laying.  A snake has scales almost like a fish.  I let it dry for a couple of days and trimmed off the excess.  Then I sanded the edges with my electric sander.  I stained the tips and belly with a dark walnut stain.  I sprayed three coats of spar urethane over the whole thing.  Since the rest of the bow was a little dark, I went with a lighter colored leather wrap for a little contrast.  I have a found another use for these buggers, besides the frying pan.... 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi