Author Topic: warbow training question  (Read 3040 times)

Offline k-hat

warbow training question
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »
I watched blackhawk and another guy a while back tryna pull back on some heavy warbows and laughed with them and everyone else as well.  But it got me thinking (since i know i couldn't do any better!), what i could do to train (since i didn't start when i was 5 years old;).   I was thinking of trying this with a stave who's longevity i would not be concerned with:

Start with as heavy as i could shoot (probably 70ish #) with as long a bow as practical (74" or more), overbuilt of course.  Then as it becomes easier and easier, hack off an inch from each end to up the weight and start shooting again with the higher weight, get used to it (accurate as well), then hack and train, hack and train till it's dangerously close to exploding.  Then make another heavier bow and start all over.

anyone try this or similar?  Is there any glaring mistake i'm missing?

Offline dmikeyj

Re: warbow training question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:27:18 am »
All I can think of is that after a couple pikes, it'll be too short to keep that full 32" draw without having to flip the tips for good string angle.  If you had an 80" bow to start with, that'd be different maybe. 

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »
Good thoughts mike.  Probly goes against the warbow grain, but I wasn't anticipating on drawing to that length.  Right now i'm just planning on doing a cheek draw, which for me is 28".  I figure if I could get REALLY heavy at 28" with reasonable accuracy, then i could have really good accuracy at still a heavy weight.  From my understanding, Howard Hill drew 100# to his cheek.  I ain't tryna do that by any means! But it would be cool to do 80ish.  I've been shooting in the 50-60# range with ease for some months, and I have the itch to go higher >:D

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »
if you star with an 80 your plan should work, but drawing a full 32 or whatever your personal warbow draw is, if done right makes it much easier,
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what