Author Topic: stone points and turkeys  (Read 9994 times)

Offline billy

Re: stone points and turkeys
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 06:30:26 am »
Hey Ryan,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with stone points and gobblers.  I've only killed on turkey with a stone point so I'm certainly no expert, but I do agree that a shoulder shot with a stone point is no good.  My good friend Thad Beckum shot a gobbler in the shoulder with his 58-lb osage D- bow and a cane arrow tipped with a flint point and just like you that shoulder bone stopped that arrow like a cement wall and snapped the point just in front of the notches.  He gets pass throughs on deer with that same set-up.  That shot was actually on an episode of Turkey Call, the tv show for the National Wild Turkey Federation. 

I think that shoulder bone is just bad news for us primitive guys.  When I shot my gobbler several years ago I hit him just below the wing and just above the drumstick.  Arrow was tipped with a small side-notched black flint point that was 5/8" wide.  It went through the soft tissue and slammed into the pelvis on the other side, snapping the point in half.  The turkey jumped up at the moment of impact and the foreshaft immediately came out.  That gobbler only ran about 30-40 feet before collapsing in the grass.  I just missed the lungs but that stone point did a hell of a lot of damage and the resulting hemorrhage  killed that turkey within seconds.  Stone points are absolutely lethal on a turkey, but you have to avoid that wing bone.  I never did find the foreshaft....all i found was the forward 1/3 tip portion of the point still inside the gobbler's chest when I gutted him.  Those turkey bones are tough and I was surprised at how much damage my stone point suffered from just hitting a "bird".   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
  It's not so much the bone as it is that turkeys are light weight and not a solid as a deer. I that bird weighted 100 pounds you'd cut that little wing bone into. So I think mostly there weight just gives with the shot and takes momentom of the shot away. PLUS THOSE OVER LAPPING WING FEATHERS ARE LIKE ARMOR.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:23 am »
I read something some where or saw something somewhere that the stone points cause more hemoraging damage than a similar knife type broad head.  Pass through may not be as easy (I forget).  I'm looking foreward to trying to take a goose this September.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:01 am »
  I live in the easern pandle of WV only 10 mins from MD. and a hour or so from the eastern shore. Me and a friend went down there with our bows to a guide that specialized in bows for geese.
  I took 4 dozzen arrows with broad head. My friend did the same. He used a old farm house for a lodge. There was another party of 7 there. The laughed because I only broth 4 dozzen arrows. They each had 2 ,3 or even 4 ,5 gallon buckets of arrows. They all shot recurves and long bows.
 We were set up 300 yards for the others in a corn field over looking a swamp. We had decoys in the field and on the water.
    My first arrow at the first goose broth him down. The guide took my pic and everything. Said we were the first to hunt with him with self bows. It was 1993. I thought this is'nt so hard. Hour later I was out of arrows with out harming another feather. We had 100's of geese lock there wings and glid in. My friend never got a hit either.
  The next year I took a few more arrows and we got 6 between 4 of us. I got one of these.
  So unless you really a good shot or shooting them on the ground. Take LOTS OF ARROWS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING