Author Topic: Painting on Bows  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Dean Marlow

Painting on Bows
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:28:24 pm »
I have seen several bows lately that the owners have painted different designs and I would like to paint a couple of my bows. Was just wondering what type of paint should I look for. Dean

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Re: Painting on Bows
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »
 Ive only painted one bow. I used acrylic that you get at the craft store. I used a spray poly finish over it.... make sure you go light with the first coat to prevent any runs

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »
I've used craft paints from Walmart with good results. It is acrylic so it cleans up with water while still wet but is strong once cured.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:02 pm »
Yup...i use dyes and acrylics, and sometimes a combo of both on the same bow to reach the desired effects and designs im looking for...and i agree with straightarrow about using spray poly for at least the first three coats,then after if you want a tru oil looking finish you can go to that after the spray poly.

Offline country

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »
They have acrylic paint pens that work good also the old stand by.. Sharpies!

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »
I would imagine most paint is flexible enough as long as it's not too thick, and most things should stick to wood.  I was wondering about using (real) milk paint with a bow because it soaks in to the wood, has a matte finish, and I have some left over from some furniture (this is the main reason).  Just be careful with water based paints as it raises the grain, or would that have little effect on a bow?  I don't know, i've never risked it.

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:15:06 am »
I have used acrylics as well as paint pens and have had good results. I have also used colored sharpie pens, but be careful when adding a sealer over these as they like to run with urethanes.