Author Topic: need help with oregon point types  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Blacktail

need help with oregon point types
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:02 am »
i am wanting to start my own collection of doing all the different types of points from Oregon...my question is how do i find out how many point types or styles in my state..i know that there is books BUT there seems to be a lot variance SO should i include that...i think general would be good...any info would be wonderful..john

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: need help with oregon point types
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:54:57 am »
There are several books available for your help!  "Silent Arrows" by Earl F. Moore is a good source for the desert area.  A trip to the museum in Klamath Falls would be my advice as it contains every type from hafted atlatl points to tiny points used in the southern lake region.  The Columbia River basin was a source of different style points used for fishing.  Lots of ceremonial points such as the 9000 year old crests.  It always amazed me on how many point casches were found in Oregon!  Also Oregon State University made several early digs in the Fort Rock area and may be another source!  Good Luck!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »
Mary hill museum has a good collection of basin points to look at.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:04:43 am »
thanks so much for the help guys...joe i will look up the books..i have herd about the k-falls  museum and that it takes a good day to look at all the stuff there....thanks again john