Author Topic: Early season primitive squirrel...  (Read 3972 times)

Offline billy

Early season primitive squirrel...
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:22:50 pm »
Here's my latest kill, an early season grey squirrel that I got this morning with my primitive 40 lb osage self bow and rivercane arrow tipped with a tiny obsidian point.  I missed my first shot from 12 yards, so I snuck to within 15 feet as he was chewing a walnut.  He was more interested in the walnut than he was me....unfortunately.  He finally turned and gave me a broadside shot, so I put a tiny obsidian point right thru both lungs.  The way he was sitting I had almost no margin for error... if I was off by just a half an inch I would have either missed him or hit the tree.  But I had been practicing so I felt confident I could hit him where I needed to.  And I did.  He fell off the tree at the moment of impact and was dead within seconds. The arrow buried up to the feathers.

And I got the entire thing on video as well, so this will be on Volume 2 of my next primitive bowhunting DVD. It's amazing how deadly even those tiny stone points are if you place them right.

It was exciting!!  Enjoy.....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Early season primitive squirrel...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
Nice shooting Billy, I'm looking forward to volume 2 :)

youngbowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:13:13 pm »
nice shooting. Will you upload this to youtube?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:36:27 am »
Nice shot Billy!! My 8yr old boy was asking on Sunday when I was going to start bringing home the squirrels.  After seeing this, I may just try tonight.  ;D dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:16:49 pm »
Looks like some good eats. Nice shot! That is one long looking arrow. Like the point.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:43 pm »
that is good shooting billy..and a little meat for the pot...the size of that point is unreal and it did its good...thanks for sharing..john

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:07:01 am »
Oh great!  Now how are you gonna smoke the ribs?   >:(

Even the biggest of these tree rats ain't much target, and getting those ADHD tweekers to sit still long enough to shoot is plenty tough.  Can you imagine poor squirrel school teachers dealing with young squirrels?  "How I Spent My Summ...DOG!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 07:38:22 am »
Heck yeah! Nice shot

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:23 pm »
Thanks guys!  Yeah that obsidian point was TINY....but it killed him so fast it was unbelievable. It was an Eastgate style point, with two long barbs.  One of the barbs broke off a few days ago duue to rough handling.  The other broke off when I hit the squirrel, as well as the needle sharp tip. 

And yes, that is quite a long arrow, probably 33 inches or so.  But it's spined for that bow and shoots beautifully.  I also have some reed arrows that are a bit lighter and fly faster, but at close range like I was with this squirrel speed isn't as important as accuracy.  Hell....accuracy is EVERYTHING.  The bow is entirely primitive....grip is braintanned deerskin I tanned myself, and the string is twisted deer sinew that I made.  I've used that bow to kill a number of squirrels, as well as a raccoon and that little sinew string is still holding up after several years.  That bow has been shot hundreds of times, so if you don't believe a sinew string is durable, let me tell you from experience....they are!   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline handirifle

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 03:29:49 am »
Wow, great shooting, and great job on the bow and arrows.  If I am not mistaken, the real enemy of a sinew string is water, am I correct?

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »
That's getting Rrrrr done. Good job. love some squirrel, I induced the grandsons & soninlaw with several cook on sticks over the camp fire last winter during deer hunt. They could not shut up about how great they were. soninlaw says, why don't they serve this at the restaurant?