Author Topic: Momma's purse  (Read 2290 times)

FAW

Momma's purse
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »
Just an old fart here to let evėryone know how the primitive "bug"set in with this contributor. "Momma's purse" came about when I finally finished a bamboo backed ipe English ( Welsh) longbow. It seems the most difficult part of the project was the handle since I cut two pieces of store bought leather too shy of the desired size. With frustration setting in, I was'nt about to hit the archery supplier up for another piece of leather, so I turned to a real primitive source - my wife's purse. She didn't really take  too kindly of my suggestion at first thinking I was after the leather in her new purse which I bought her for Christmas. However, she saw my dejected look and came to my rescue anyway with an old one which I subsequently took apart. And Voila! my handle or Momma's purse, and enough material for my next one. This all started when I made the mistake of joining a workshop given by Marc St. Louis and made an elm selfbow, so Marc, thanks once again for introducing me to the world of bow building and it is so great when your wife becomes part of the project. I just had to show you the photos of "Momma's purse"" which is , 72" ntn, 60lbs @30"draw     

FAW

Re: Momma's purse
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:21:18 pm »
Sorry, missed a photo

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:22:23 pm »
Are you canting the bow? The bottom limb seems very short. Your tiller looks reasonable, however.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:06 pm »
looks like a real nice bow. I got my leather for handle wraps from a big old leather jacket i got for free. Gotta love the way a longbow shoots!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:48:12 pm »
Looks like you are a lefty canting the bow, looking mostly at right handed shooters, yours does throw the eyes off a bit, but it seems like a nice tiller to me.

FAW

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:52:26 pm »
Yeah, a lefty and canted

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:53:34 pm »
Very nice Frank.  You did a great job on that bow.  I'm glad to see the bow building bug has flourished.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:37:28 pm »
That looks real nice.  That is a combo I want to try someday.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:02:46 pm »
Yea that's a great bow.