Author Topic: Bone for points?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Bone for points?
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »
Where can I get bone for making bone points? Also what do you work it with? a file?

Offline Newindian

Re: Bone for points?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:33:07 pm »
You can get dog bones at places like tractor supply, 6 inche long cut off a cow leg cleaned an everything. Sould be able to get half a dozen heads out of them. The best tool is probably a dremil tool. Make sure you wear a mask, or have very god ventilation bone dust dosnt do you any good
I like free stuff.

Offline driftingrz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:46:31 pm »
they also sell those cow femur bones at alot of grocery stores in the meat department. i buy a pack every few weeks or so for my coonhound. 3 big bones for like $2-3.. just gotta let the dog do the dirty work with the meat on it.. i used a angle grinder with a thin blade since i had no blades for dremel... the bone is pretty easy to shape/thin/sharpen with nothing more than a file

oh yea do it outside... if youve ever messed with bone or antler you know the Smell

Offline raghorns

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:21 am »
Deer bone is harder...cow bone is easier to find...a butcher will give you more than you want.

A bandsaw and belt sander...I can finish one of these in 15 minutes.

Live Life at Full Draw

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:34 am »
This might be a stupid question, but are bone points durable enough for hunting big game, such as white tail or mule deer?  I'm guessing it's probably not a good idea, I don't imagine they would penetrate very deep if you happened to hit the shoulder blade or a rib.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:59:41 am »
I've talked with a couple guys who have hunted deer with bone in the past. They said it works great. You don't want to hit a shoulder, but that goes for any arrow head. I was told not use a low poundage bow, like down around 40#, but anything up around or above 50# would work. I have yet to shoot anything with bone myself, but that's what I was told.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:19:35 am »
I get deer legbones from Moscow Fur and Hide.  They are on the web.  I normally cut and shape the bone with a Dremel, using a reinforced cutting disc and a sanding drum.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »
Thanks for the info guys! will they hold an edge?