Author Topic: red ocre  (Read 11898 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
red ocre
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:23:42 pm »
anyone know where I can buy natural pigments , particularly red ocre
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: red ocre
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:21:31 pm »
you might try the missouri trading company,I know theyve got natural paints,might be they have red ochre too.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:30:40 pm »
If you've got red clay, you can make your own. Take some clay and let it dry, then mash it up as fine as you can. Stir it up in some water. The bigger, heavier particles will settle to the bottom, and the really fine particles will stay in the water. Those are the ones you want. Pour the water off into another container and boil it dry.You will have fine, red pigment left in the bottom of the container. Mix it with hide glue or the carrier of your choice and you have paint. Heating it will make it even redder. You can make black pigment with charcoal, and other colors with various colored clays.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:39:24 pm »
Steve: That's some interesting stuff. The Brazos river (local) has some pretty nice red clay in it. I'm going to give that a try sometime.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:42:46 pm »
Paul, I was spalling one of the nodules of your flint and it had a pocket inside full of really good pure red ochre. Pretty wild looking-it was completely sealed up inside the rock.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:46:18 pm »
Huh? That's strange, hehe. If theirs enough there for a batch of paint - I bet it'd have some mojo to go with it ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mbs

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »
They find what the locals call paint rocks in the pee dee region of SC. They are partially solidified clay rocks with a powder core.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:41:51 am »
when i do not have access to what i need in my environment, get my earth pigments from cedar mountain drum works in portland oregon.
there is also a place online called earth pigments, tho i have never ordered from them, they have a huge selection of colors.
one of the best books i have ever read regarding earth pigments is called earth pigments and paint of the california indians by paul douglas campbell.
if you are really into earth pigments, this book is a must have.

i typically mix pigments with hide glue, but just like sinewing a bow, it must be kept warm while using.
you can use egg whites and i also have a small jar of acrylic medium that i use sometimes tho it is not "primitive"
you cannot use water as the pigments will just dry and turn back to dust.
i have painted bows and then sealed with various mediums.
but i would suggest ya try yr pigments on a sample piece of whatever material you are painting then using yr sealer to see how they work together before applying to yr actual piece.

if you do a google search, you will find a great deal of info on red ochre, the history, how it was used, how it was protected, and the sacredness of earth pigments, esp red ochre to many nna peoples.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:48:05 am by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:33 am »
Good thread.  I experiment with petroglyph-style art (oil on canvas) and have been thinking about using natural pigments on actual stone. 

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:38:21 am »
Them S.C. ocher rocks are up in Chesterfield county too !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 02:01:38 am »
I get all my pigments from naturalpigments.com.  I prefer red iron oxide over red ocre.  The iron oxide is not gritty and mixes well with any medium.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »
I found two different places on old strip mine ground where there are seeps coming out of the hillside and the wet ground from them is bright red for several yards below the seeps. Would that be red ocre or iron oxide or possibly something entirely different? Any sure way to tell? I know nothing about pigments but have been wondering if i could use it some way.
Steve Bennett

Offline Scowler

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 11:11:21 am »
Found some at www.earthpigments.com

Offline sonny

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 11:18:58 am »
I've bought pigments locally from a pottery supplier. Well worth checking the phone book as there could
be one right around the corner...
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 02:08:54 am »
Clear Creek Trading Company in Sedona, AZ has excellent red ochre.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...