Author Topic: jackpot!!  (Read 1929 times)

Offline rkeltner

jackpot!!
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:59:30 pm »
i was recently deer hunting at the property i usually hunt on, when i spied some unusually dark osage on a brush pile. asking if the wood on the piles were up for grabs, the landowner said have-at-it, so i proceeded to survey the various piles. long story made short, i came home with 4 straight pieces of osage. two were about 6" to 8" in diam. with a length of abt 6'. the other two pieces were 52" and 54" in length with a diameter of twelve to fourteen inches. my apologies for not having pictures, but i can't find my camera, (may have to clean out my fourteen yr old's room) but at the present time this haul has given me 27 staves with only 2 failed splits. i have gotten belly splits from belly splits on three pieces so far, and there are pieces that look like they will allow sister splits, so the number will probably grow. i do have a question for some of the experts though. the dark osage has exceptionally tight ring growth, and chasing rings has been a chore. should i just back those staves, or keep chasing. the rings actually seem kind of brittle. the color is a little darker than the mineral inclusions on a typical piece of fresh osage.

blackhawk

Re: jackpot!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »
Man screw scraping that American hornbeam,n toss it aside cus you got "real" bow wood now ;)  :laugh:

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »
like most bowyers, i have a stubborn side that won't let me give up on any piece of wood in my inventory that hasn't snapped yet!!!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »
I would section out the splits to the width size you want and then debark them and seal em back and ends. Then let em cure. Its easier to chase real tight rings if the wood is cured than if its still somewhat wet as it is easier to tear through the green stuff and when you are chasing micro rings you need to be able to follow the early growth as your guide. This will give you more options later, then you can decide if you want to back them or not based on a couple of bows you do with it and see how it responds. Just my two cents.   congrats on the haul too by the way. Kinda like finding treasure aint it?    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:16:11 pm »
ooohhh yeahh!!! ;) ;D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:38:38 pm »
Someone else had the same concerns as you on an earlier post.  On tight ring Osage (dark, dense, tight ring Osage is to me the Holy Grail in bow wood), once you are 1 ring above the one you want, take the last bit of late wood and the underlying early growth off with sand paper in establishing your back.  Lots of work but worth the effort.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:54:50 am »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others