Author Topic: Longbow Technique  (Read 3144 times)

Offline robin_hood_777

Longbow Technique
« on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:36 am »
I recently returned from deployment and have not shot my bow for some months.  I have an English Longbow and shoot with a traditional target technique.  Normally my feet are about shoulder width apart, however I am having some trouble for some reason.  I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers.  Would widening my stance give me a better base of power?

Offline Scowler

Re: Longbow Technique
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:58:44 am »
What type of trouble are you having? 

Offline robin_hood_777

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:35 am »
It may just b a process of reestablishing muscle memory, but when I bring the bow up (using the target shooting technique taught to me) I cannot get my shoulder and elbow back fully.  However, if i start above my head and bring the bow down whilst pulling, I am able to most times.  Does that help any?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:47 am »
You will probably have to redevelop your archery muscles. The only way to do so is by shooting a bow. If you have a lighter bow you could start back up with and reestablish your form then you could work slowly back to the heavier bow and comfortably back to your style of shooting.
  When I was learning to shoot a wheeled bow I wanted to be able to draw the bow with as little movement as possible. I would draw the bow slowly 10 times them hold the last full draw for the count of 10(holding a selfbow for this long is not recommended but you get the idea). I'd do this a few times a day and after a week or so I could hold the bow out in front of me and slowly draw to full draw without straining. It really doesn't take long to redevelop your archery muscles but you will have to consciously work on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
  Shooting a long bow (shooting instintive) is about as simple as you can get. At the same time as hard as you make it.
  A few simple things have to be done repetedly.
  Close your standest some to where you feel comfortable. And use the same stance every shot.
  Draw and ankor the same every shot. Again do what comes natural.Most people ankor useing middle finger in the cornner of your mouth. I use a eye tooth. Now just go shoot and build up your arthery mussles.
  Use the KISS METHOD
  KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPIT.
  THAT GO'S A LONG WAY IN PRACTICEING AND HUNTING.
  SHOOT AND HAVE FUN.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:15:58 pm »
Might enjoy it more and have less of those specific problems if you drop down to a managable bow weight.
Now is the good old days

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:34 pm »
It sounds like you have just lost some strengh due to your long layoff.  I always found that "drawing down" is physically easier than "drawing up".  You may want to work with a lighter poundage bow to build up your shooting muscles.  Now you got a good excuse to buy another bow  ;) 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 12:51:07 pm »
Or make one.     Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God