Author Topic: Locust D/R Shorty  (Read 5484 times)

Offline JonW

Locust D/R Shorty
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:17 pm »
This was a throw away side split from a stave I was laying out. A guy came over while I was cleaning up some staves to lay out and asked how long it takes me to make a bow. I told him to hang around and we would find out. I handed him volume 1 of the N.A. bows,arrows,and quivers and told him to pick something out. He chose the Mohegan bow on page 30 and I went to work. Two hours later this is what I came up with. I think it's a cool little bow and actually flings an arra pretty good. 46 " long and 42# @ 24" draw. Thanks for looking.

Jon W.

blackhawk

Re: Locust D/R Shorty
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:45:53 pm »
Well ain't that just cute  8)...but deadly I'm sure ;)

Offline Patches

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »
Nice lil bow!  What is the bump in the black paint?  Is that decoration or is that a know in the wood?  I cannot tell from the photo.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »
Nice quickie bow!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:33:15 pm »
Nice quick work on that one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:44 pm »
Another nice one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »
Patches that "bump" was a good sized limb. Had to take down three of them in this bow. I should add that the tillering was done entirely on my belt sander. Two hours is pretty easy with electricity ;)

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:52:03 pm »
i like that one!
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:17:00 pm »
Very nice! That bow is just m size and style! Love it.

Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 05:41:17 pm »
2 hrs, 2 days or 2 weeks......that's a fine bow and ya for sure got her bendin 8)
rich

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 08:51:54 pm »
Impressive little bow there Jon, you got that locust wood figured out. 24' draw from 46" bow and done in two hours with a wood I find to be sometimes difficult as far as cooperating is a real feat in my eyes. The flipped tips look to be bending some and string angle still looks
comfortable, nice work.
I'll embarrass  myself and admit that I spent 5 times that long making a 45" locust bow this past month drawing  about 8# @ 16" for
my 3 1/2 yr. old grandson for x-mas and the tiller is nowhere near as fine as yours. ;) 
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:54:46 pm »
Yeah, I dont know how you can make such a sweet little bow so quick.  Well done. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:21 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Greg I feel the key to Locust is to have a REAL GOOD floor bend before stressing the wood much. I'll tell ya guys, get yourselves a good belt sander and you won't regret it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 06:11:53 am »
Sweet shorty, that a way to make a purse out of a sows ear. ;) ;D  Tiller looks great and bet it will spit an arrow. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 10:42:49 am »
Yeah Jon you are a very talented bowyer. Great little bow for sure. Tiller is spot on and with that small of dimensions it makes me less proud of the little 56" bow I just finshed. All be it, mine is a stiff handle job .Great work in such a short amount of time. I've seen guys at Ojam making bows with the sander. I bet it does take alot of the hand work out of it does'nt it? I've seen you there as well have'nt I?    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God