Author Topic: first bamboo backing: sand off the rind?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

first bamboo backing: sand off the rind?
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »
This is my first foray into bamboo. Should I sand off the rind or leave well enough alone? Some build alongside say yes, others no.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: first bamboo backing: sand off the rind?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:28:16 pm »
I scrape my rind off to a clean back. Then lightly sand the whole shooting match.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:33:07 pm »
The bamboo came that way.

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 10:34:36 pm »
Looks like the rind could be gone too.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »
Does anyone knownwhere I can find a decent close up of how it looks "rind off"? Ive searched but cant find a good one that shows the fibers. Flap sander? Belt? Hand? I have a couple scrapers but am afraid of flattening the back.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:52:05 pm »
With the rind off you'll be able to see the individual fibers. Looks like it's off that piece already. Best to use a sanding sponge if you want to take the rind off but it's virtually impossible to remove it without severing a strand or two.
 Here's a pic of a bow with a rind off backing.  http://www.archers-review.com/bow-reviews/aidy-hayes-longbow

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 12:00:33 am »
On my bamboo arrows I try to leave it on, it is waterproof & saves me a step at the end, but for bows I don't know... Are there any negative effects of leaving it on?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:35 am »
It's actually not even close to waterproof. The downside to leaving it on is that a finish won't really stick to it unless you at least knock the shine off it as if you were sanding varnish between coats.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:29 am »
I've decided to leave well enough alone. Maybe in the future I'll try taking it off, but I wanna USE this bow got awhile and I care more about getting a durable bow than a pretty one so ill just sand it with 220 and leave it. If the finish doesn't penetrate, oh well. It's probably just going to be Danish oil any way.

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:48 am »
Kevin, the rind is off that boo already! Don't sand it too much, I would sand it lightly with 320 or 400 and that's it. You don't want to sand down into the power fibers anymore than needed.