Author Topic: Archery Popularity  (Read 2626 times)

Offline bow101

Archery Popularity
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:50 pm »
It's interesting to see what sports are gaining in participation lately. Archery has jumped allmost 8% in the last year. Although not as common as Lacrose which jumped over 37%. I don't know why that is but Lacrose has never turned my crank... ::)

Anyway getting away from other sports, I can see archery gaining ground for some time. The alure been an olympic sport now. And one of the big factors is hunting silently and eating game that is 100% organic.
These days there is such a strong emphasis on buying and growing chemcial free food, without the growth hormones and all the other junk and reducing the carbon foot print [buy local]. I'am so looking forward to hunting next fall.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Re: Archery Popularity
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:22:10 pm »
For me, bowhunting is the most mentally healing activity a person can participate in. It keeps me grounded, and lets me think about what really matters in life. It also puts meat in the freezer!  Traditional archery is the step above that...

I can't wait to make a selfbow from the land I hunt, trees I've walked by all of my life,  and take some game with it..  That is beyond exceptional, in my opinion. 

Good luck to you in your endeavors!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:34:48 am »
The biggest thing from what I've been told from owners of Archery shops in the area and phone calls i've gotten for bows is the movie, Hunger Games. The shops that sell compounds told me they can't keep recurves on the shelf. they even said they would sell my bows on consignment.

i've seen the same spike happen when I owned karate schools everytime a new, action packed karate movie came out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:04:30 am »
Archery in the Schools is getting back in the plus column. It is a "sport" that anyone and everyone can participate in. You don't have to be special to join in.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:14:30 am »
that is very true, nothin to it just hittin center all the time ::) i got what you were saying pat. i agree, when i was 12 i started using a recurve, a 45er in fact. although i had a 24-26 inch draw.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:12 pm »
Archery in the schools has grown by leaps and bounds the last several years in Ohio !
I am not a fan of the equipment they have chosen but I suppose it levels thing !
Kinda like restrict-er plates in NASCAR
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
I went to the school where "archery in the schools" originated (after I was there) and was fortunate enough to meet the lady that got it all started. It's amazing how it grew from one school in Kentucky to statewide and then nationwide so quickly.  I've never met a person more influential than Jenny Richardson.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:46 pm »
Jennie is a good friend.  She did amazing things with the program.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:57:03 pm »
I went to the school where "archery in the schools" originated (after I was there) and was fortunate enough to meet the lady that got it all started. It's amazing how it grew from one school in Kentucky to statewide and then nationwide so quickly.  I've never met a person more influential than Jenny Richardson.

How long ago was that? My dad had archery in Gym back when he was 12 all the way through high school, and that was almost 50 years ago.

Jon

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
He's talking about the National Archery in Schools Program, a national and worldwide program, taught consistently and has greatly increased youth participation in the sport. It was first developed in KY.

Yes, many of us had "achery" in gym class.  This is way bigger than an untrained PE teacher telling you to stick your elbow out not in... :) 

Google NASP, there is lots of information about the program.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:48:00 pm »
Interesting. Never heard of that program.

Jon

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 10:29:53 pm »
Yes, the NASP program was what I was talking about. I used to frequent an archery shop in Williamsburg where Jenny practiced.  She would always stop what she was doing to lend a hand or give advise. Great person.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN