Author Topic: Sinew Backing  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Sinew Backing
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:24:34 pm »
This may be a silly question, but here goes.

When Sinew is removed from a deer, such as from the backstrap, it comes off in relatively long, thin sheets.  Why is it not in this form used as a backing for a bow much like a snake skin?  Obviously it would have to be glued on in overlapping layers to get the correct length, but strands have to be overlapped as well. 

Has anyone ever tried it?  I've never worked with sinew, but it seems like a huge chore to dry, pulverize, soak, and then glue bundles of strands down for a backing. 

Pappy's post on his technique got me thinking. 

Thanks to all.

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline sonny

Re: Sinew Backing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:14:54 pm »
That same thought crossed my mind but after thinking about it I realized that the sheath (even back sinew is enclosed in a sheath) would possibly prevent good adhesion.

I did discover that combing out fibers from backstrap sinew is quickly done, though I'm not crazy about the fine fibers you get from it. I much prefer leg sinew for backing bows. 
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:51:00 am »
I saw a bow done like that once. It apparantly worked, but it was was ugly as hell. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:06:24 am »
That's probably reason enough not to do it that way.   ;D Thanks guys.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck