Author Topic: Spalling hammer  (Read 5454 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Spalling hammer
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:26 pm »
I am Thor! ;D
We were hunting around the Merced Antique Mall before the movies  - I am always looking for old soldering irons and cool tool when I encountered a Danco Hammer No.3
- the handle is 12" long the head is an iron sleeve with copper heads. From what I can gather on the internet it was made around the 1930's by the Danielson Mfg Co in Danielson, Conn. There was one posted for bid on one site. Another w/o the copper in it sold for $18. I paid 25 for this one.  Each copper piece in the head is 1.75" across and about 2" long - this thing weighs about 5 pounds! It made for a nice find!

Offline Tower

Re: Spalling hammer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
Looks like a sweet find.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:53 pm »
I bought one just like it the shop teacher from when I was in school told me they were used on the railroad I bought mine for spallin also.
Rob

Offline Newbow

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:39 pm »
This kind of hammer is still available, though not particularly cheap.  Do a Web search for "The Hammer Source" and you'll find most any kind imaginable.  Click on "soft face hammers" on the left hand menu and on pages 8, 9 and 11 of the catalog that comes up you'll find hammers very like the one you've shown.  Click on "copper hammers" and you'll get five pages of solid copper hammers up to a 20" sledge (only $399.00, but that's a deal because they want $379 for a 15# version).

Offline Lyagooshka

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:47 pm »
Does Thor know you're playing with his tools?   ;D Nice find.  Be well.

Alex

:P
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:14 am »
Nice findon that. I stopped by a used surplust shop the other day and picked up a 36" 516  copper rod for $4.00. It will make some gret pressure flakes.