Author Topic: New scale suggestions?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline toomanyknots

New scale suggestions?
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:56:01 am »
My current scale stretches out at about 2 feet or maybe even 2 1/2 feet long at 115# or so, which is aggravating when trying to weight a bow on my tiller tree setup. The one part is starting to go to one side when I pull it too, it is hard to explain, but it is starting to scare me. It is one of those hanging scales from tractor supply company. Anybody know a better scale that won't stretch as much when you are using it?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: New scale suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »
Any digital scale.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:04:02 pm »
X-SPOT digitals have made 75-80 bows for me and flew across my shop twice. Still tickin'. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:17 pm »
Mines an old spring scale goes up to 150 pounds its older than me but gets the job done you coul maybe pick one up at an antique shop or maybe eBay
I like osage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:37:46 pm »
This guy looks cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Brecknell-235-6M-220-Hanging-Scale-Dual-Marked/dp/B00BEDUW1Y/ref=sr_1_81?ie=UTF8&qid=1366127765&sr=8-81&keywords=hanging+scale

But this guy wouldn't stretch, where I am guessing the other one would?:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Hanging-Scale-Ocs-l-Industrial/dp/B007PLTXBE/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1366128674&sr=8-21&keywords=hanging+scale

There is also this one for a little less:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scale-Amw-tl440-Industrial/dp/B00186R2UG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366128584&sr=1-2&keywords=hanging+scale

What do you guys think? I want a mechanical one that will not stretch that much, if there is such a thing, but I am not sure where to look. The ones from tractor supply stretch too much for my current tiller setup. Pearl, I looked at that one, but it seems to only go up to 100#, and I need at least 150#, 200# max to feel safe using it often, ya know.

EDIT: I honestly don't want a digital one though because I am afraid the darn thing is gonna stop working on me or something. I would trust a mechanical one to last longer really. And I think one with a big dial would be easier to read when stepping back and drawing the pulley string to draw the bow, than trying to see what the little numbers say in the digital one...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:45:47 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair