Author Topic: Blue Heeler Shafts  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Bugtussle

Blue Heeler Shafts
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »
Here are some shafts that I stained with 5 parts white vinegar and 1 part steel wool (left to age for 36 hours)...  They look like the coat of a Blue Heeler to me  :D.  The shafts next to them are the color starting out.  The single "test"  stick to the left is 5 parts steel and 1 part white vinegar... aged for 18 hours (the color was much more uniform).  The shafts are Rough Leaf Dogwood.

“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
Re: Blue Heeler Shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07:35 am »
I have used this process to die leather. Its a century's old method for dying leather and wood. Its called Vinegaroon, Its not a dye, It reacts with the natural Tannins and causes a chemical reaction. Vinegaroon gets better with age, I let it set for about a week or until all the steel wool is dissolved. Your arrows look real nice, never thought about using it on arrows, might even try it on a white wood bow. Thanks for posting this > Dan

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:46:39 am »
Dan... Thanks for the information!  BTW, when you allow the steel wool to dissolve does that give it a more uniform color?  As you can see, my test was brown but the shafts came out steel blue/gray...
“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they are not on your road does not mean they are lost.” -- Dalai Lama

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:10:55 am »
Yes, you need to let the steel wool dissolve completely for maximum strength, the color will depend on how much Tannin is in the wood. > Dan

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:54:56 pm »
Cool!  Thanks!

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 06:13:55 pm »
Well the "pups" got their adult "teeth" today :). It's a pretty motley crew but the deer and hogs won't mind I am sure...  Now I got to start cutting wild turkey feathers and fletching... I actually may be ready for hunting season early this year... "Nock on wood" :laugh:

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:30:56 pm »
More pics... Ignore the sorry knapping...  :-\ .

move][]

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:37:17 pm »
Nice arra shafts
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:02:32 pm »
Thanks Dbar!  It seems that the other pictures did not post as I anticipated :-[... So here it goes again...

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:03:12 pm »
2 of 3

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »
3 of 3

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:21 pm »
Very nice set.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »
Thanks Jeff!  Hopefully a couple of them will make meat  :)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 08:07:46 am »
Awesome work!  Ill have to try that out
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Bugtussle

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »
Thanks CherokeeKC!  I have started on another set but this time with ash... not sure if I am going to use the vinegar/steel wool again... I can't decide if I like the effect or not... but it does camo them good... took me forever to find one in the grass a few days ago  :)