Author Topic: Standarts of accuracy  (Read 33370 times)

sagitarius boemoru

Re: Standarts of accuracy
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2007, 09:11:36 am »
Well well....Since I was not able to walk around christmas I might need some excersise, but other than observing arrows flight, what good it would be if I train for the attempt?

I mean, off course that practice is good and everyone improves with it, but if I want unbiased result........

The benchmark is definitelly a good thing.

Jaro

Offline outcaste

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 07:26:59 am »
Thought you guys would like to see this....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/Outcastebowman/Dscn7276.jpg

Yeomanbowman and myself have made a man sized knight to test our accuracy and others at Batsford this weekend. Thought it was a bit more fun than a regular target ;D
It should give us an insight in to "standards of accuracy".

Cheers, Outcaste

Rod

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2007, 07:35:38 am »
How far away was that and what was the recorded % of hits?
Rod.

Offline Loki

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2007, 12:28:19 pm »
They havent shot him yet Rod;D.
Nice target Outcaste,it will be interesting to see/hear the results,it does make it fun shooting at targets like that,i had a Scotsman who was made from a stuffed WetSuit with a football for a head and one of those daft ginger wigs  ;D.
Durham,England

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2007, 06:47:34 am »
Howard Hill was a phenominal instinctive snap shooter, but a failry poor target archer.

When Hill still toured the target tournaments before concentrating on his hunting endeavours, he won a consecutive 196 target shoots, in a time when every archer shot what we now call primitive bows. There allegedly were target archers who refused to participate in events where Hill was present, due to his phenomenal success.

Hill's personal best in the American Round stands at 684 points. Quite a feat with a bare wood bow and wood arrows, as anyone who's shot the American Round with similar gear can attest. A fairly poor target archer? No way.

Tuukka

Offline Heiner

• Franco Flemish Contingent
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2007, 06:56:40 am »
Thought you guys would like to see this....

Very nice, guys :)! Have fun+success, I'm curious about the outcome.

Heiner
Institio regressum significat.

duffontap

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2007, 12:25:32 pm »
I've read a lot about Hill and he wasn't an instinctive shooter or a snap shooter either.  He used the split-vision reference style and anchored carefully to the same tooth each time. 

I have heard rumors that Keasy beat Hill in a tournament in California once but everything else says he won every event he entered. ???

J. D. Duff

Offline Loki

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 06:58:51 pm »
I dont like the guy  >:(

Wonder how the lads got on at Batsford,hope they have some pics.
Durham,England

Offline outcaste

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2007, 07:07:41 pm »
Hi,

Just out of interest the knight was shot at twice (am@130yards and pm@150yards) with one arrow per archer unfortunately he wasn't hit except by the juniors at very close range. Intersting really when all the heavy bow shooters that come to mind were gathered together in one place.

One good thing though at least we don't have to print out another target face so soon!

Cheers, Outcaste

jb.68

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2007, 07:18:48 pm »
It was a really good target too, it looked 3D from a distance. I was right on distance, but a foot to the right, which I weren't too unhappy with. How did you get on with the field shoot mate? I'm affraid I wasn't prepared to go out in the pissin' rain again as I got soaked watchin' the bird of prey display the evenin' before.

Offline outcaste

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2007, 04:48:09 pm »
Hi jb.68

Only my second time on a 3D shoot. Went around with Jeremy, Steve and his son. Got soaked, broke a bow and scored 296 from the 32 targets.

Cheers, Outcaste

Rod

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 08:17:55 am »
LOL. Getting soaked is par for the course in field shooting, especially if you shoot on the Welsh borders. I recall one time getting so wet and cold that I took off my waterproofs and put on wet woollens to get warm and the only part of me that wasn't soaked was the inside of the pouch on my quiver set and only then because I had not opened it all day.

Another time we shot in sleet and were held up behind a group with an incompetent crossbow archer who had to look in the dead leaves and snow for his bolt on almost every target. FRF wanted us to jump his group, but I said that no way was I going to be anywhere on that field course where I could not clearly see this idiot in front of me....

BTW FRF has a three clout end badge that was given him by Bert Smith when he put three consecutive arrows in the clout (36" diameter) at 180 yards, so with a little practice you might be able to hit a man sized figure at 100 or so...
Keep trying...
Rod.

Rod

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007, 09:35:45 am »
I note with interest that no-one has yet done this.....
Rod.