Author Topic: Yew stave (problem help needed please!!) (pics added)  (Read 8773 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Re: Yew stave (problem help needed please!!) (pics added)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:43 am »
How many violations can it have? you guys have to realize i have never worked with this stuff. i have about a half inch of sapwood and i will cut it out then get the many violations down to a few. i have never worked with this stuff so any help would be awesome. i am going to rawhide back this one because i am scared of it snapping. next time how do i minimize the violations? scraper? i am going to get some more staves soon because this stuff is nice to work. definitely easier than osage!
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:51 pm »
As many violation as you want. As long as there feathered out nicely they won't present a problem. Plus with the rawhide, your in the clear. The only thing that would break the bow after that is bad tillering.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 05:16:32 pm »
Ok that makes me feel a lot better and helps me a ton. Thanks Bryce! I will put on some pics when I glue it up
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 08:51:28 pm »
I have a yew bow that has the blue steaks in one limb.  I don't think that is your problem, the violations are.  If you thin the sapwood evenly you might reduce those violations and either not need to back or use the rawhide for insurance.  If you are going to continue to worry about it all then you'd be wise to remove the sapwood and sinew back as already mentioned.  If there's not enough heartwood for sinew backing then there's probably not enough for sapwood backing.

Steve is right here...I have a bow to back it up. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.