Author Topic: First posting on PA website.  (Read 1658 times)

Offline robin strufe

First posting on PA website.
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:47:38 pm »
Hello everyone, this is my first posting on the website. I live in North Carolina and have been into Archery since approximately 9 years old, currently 66 years old. Back then I used a tree limb (green) and string with something that seemed like an arrow. I have made quite a few bows and arrows in the past, mostly for kids that needed something other than a TV to watch. I have recently completed four bows for my grandchildren. I worked with the Boy Scouts for many years, serving at the archery ranges to assist as necessary. I started out with a little wooden bow, evolved up to the compounds years ago with the mechanical releases, peep sights etc. until I got bored and am now back to making little wooden bows from tree trunks and limbs and never looked back. One of my favorite memories came from an indoor archery range where I was shooting a recurve with wooden arrows and a young man with a new compound bow asked me how I shot that way, I did now know what he meant, so I said "well you put the arrow on the string then pull it back", he stammered "no I mean how do you shoot without sights"? The worst part was I could not answer him as I had never used sights. I told him "I guess if I could explain it I should write a book." I am a fan of the true masters such as, Jim Hamm, Paul Comstock and the rest we all know and appreciate. I remember years ago looking through a magazine rack for traditional archery mags. and found the very first PA magazine, I subscribed. I have not missed a mag. since the beginning. I have been following the work of many members had have been extremely impressed and inspired to learn from everyone and anyone. The creativity and skills I have seen published keeps me trying new bow styles and techniques. I am grateful to everyone in this community and happy to know there are others out there with same love of creating bows and arrows with their own hands. Well, I will close after this bit of personal history, introduction and look forward to many more years of following the grain.
Thanks to All.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First posting on PA website.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »
Nice to have you on board Robin, enjoyed reading that condensed version of your history with archery. I'm betting there is an awful lot of good bow and arrow adventure stories in your vault. Hope to hear more from ya.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:25:35 pm »
Robin, I also subscribed to PA at the beginning, actually after seeing an ad in Traditional Bowhunter for a new mag named Primitive Archer, a few months before it hit the stands. I'm 63 and also live in NC. Where in NC do you live?
Welcome to PA. Sounds like you'll fit right in.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:57:48 am »
Welcome,I also subscribed to the first and haven't missed an issue since. Now we are telling our age cause it's been around a while.  ;) Looking forward to seeing some of your work.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:25 am »
Welcome aboard!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:51 am »
Welcome Robin, sounds like you'll fit right in.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:18:19 pm »
Welcome aboard, we have several N'caliner folks on here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:21:31 pm »
A few of us were there for the beginning of the mag !
It took some of us longer than others to get on here but glad to see we are getting here !
Welcome and Have fun !!!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:44 am »
welcome to the addiction!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 09:45:11 am »
Welcome Sir.  Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 11:17:50 am »
A warm  welcome from Oregon Robin. Look forward to Sharing stories.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!