Author Topic: Evidence OTHER than MR Bows of 120+ bows?  (Read 57404 times)

Offline Heffalump

Re: Evidence OTHER than MR Bows of 120+ bows?
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
Will he be at the ILAA Windsor longbow shoot?

I don't know, but just in case I'd better wear a false moustache and beard combo now if I want to avoid a type 16 through the neck when I least expect it  8)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:30:48 pm by Heffalump »
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
I have literally just wet myself laughing at your Bickerstaff bashing  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks chaps for making my day!

Offline adb

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2013, 07:40:59 pm »
Why the Bickerstaffe bashing? I came all the way from Canada, and spent a day with him in his shop. He was a very gracious host, and showed me a few things about doing splices. I also got to watch Fred tiller out a nice tri-lam. While there, I also picked up a bow I had commissioned. He packaged it free, included a bow sock free and a signed copy of his book free. A very generous man.

When you guys who are bashing him have made as many bows and been in the business full time as long as he has, then maybe you can shoot your mouths off. He has his opinions (some of which I don't agree with), but I believe the man deserves my respect as a bowyer. I thought personal attacks and name calling were discouraged here? All in poor taste.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:04:28 pm by adb »

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2013, 05:18:05 am »
Hi adb
Im sure its all meant good naturedly.
I personally am rather Jealous of the man, anyone who makes fine bows and is able to make a living from it, I take my hat off to. He has always been very helpful in my experience.
I would love to be in his shoes, being a full time bowery is my idea of heaven!
Please don't take the jibes too seriously.

Matt

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2013, 06:39:11 am »
Hi adb
Im sure its all meant good naturedly......Please don't take the jibes too seriously.

Matt

Well spotted Mr.Beardie!  ;D
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline adb

« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2013, 10:38:53 am »
The jibes aren't against me. That's my point. Sounds like justification for inappropriate behaviour to me. Maybe Mr. Heffalump and Mr. Bearded Bowyer could post some pics of some bows they've made, so we can all have a look? It's the armchair bowyers, who are quick with a smart-aleck comment (but have made nothing) that put a twist in my shorts. I'd be thrilled to see a "Hickory/lemonwood banana" from either one of you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:01:01 am by adb »

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
I think Del may have made some amazing banana's,  from laminates and meane selfbows, like elm, yew....
Not sure about Heffalump, but Im currently making a light hickory/ dark hickory/ Ipe longbow at the moment and a hickory/bamboo/ lemonwood with yew riser hybrid bow. and a pure lemon wood recurve, and experimenting with a 5 lam hickory/ ipe combination.
I will post pics of them when they are all done so you can all poke fun at me and I REALLY don't mind. If I can take it from my wife and children.....and the dog. Then anyone can.
Wait a minute...are you laughing at me??? how dare you!
 ;)

Offline Bearded bowyer

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
Back to Brians comment on DNA testing, I suspect It may be a very broad location where the timber came from.
If I've got the gist of things, dense tight growth rings are down to poor growing conditions? So what you really want is poor soil quality.
There must be areas in the uk where poor soil quality and nutrient supply would create good yew.
Are mountainous regions generally of poor soil quality? Do you get forests of yew at high altitude?

Offline adb

« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »
I think Del may have made some amazing banana's,  from laminates and meane selfbows, like elm, yew....
Not sure about Heffalump, but Im currently making a light hickory/ dark hickory/ Ipe longbow at the moment and a hickory/bamboo/ lemonwood with yew riser hybrid bow. and a pure lemon wood recurve, and experimenting with a 5 lam hickory/ ipe combination.
I will post pics of them when they are all done so you can all poke fun at me and I REALLY don't mind. If I can take it from my wife and children.....and the dog. Then anyone can.
Wait a minute...are you laughing at me??? how dare you!
 ;)

I look forward to it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:25 am »
Scanty soil does produce fine rings apparently as much as high altitude does. I believe Chris Boyton had a piece of yew cut from a cliff on a  chalk type rocky area that was extremely fine of growth ring.
 Here in Canada there are cedar trees growing on the ridges of the Niagara Escarpment that actually don't even produce a ring some years because the soil is so poor where they are growing. Trees which were thought to be 500 years old are apparently much older.  The same trees growing at the bottom of the ridge are pretty normal of growth.
 It is certainly not just a northern or generally colder climate/shorter growing season that is solely responsible for finer rings.
 English Yew here still has pretty large rings when grown in typical fairly rich soil beside a building.