Author Topic: Osage stave hunters  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Badger

Osage stave hunters
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:08 am »
  When you guys cut an osage tree do you find it usually comes back sending shoots straight up, maybe straighter than the original tree?

Offline bluegill68

Re: Osage stave hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:06:28 am »
Definitely my experiences, some of my best staves have come from the 2nd or 3rd cuttings off of old hedge rows. However, it does not seem to have an impact on grain straightness.  Some will be pipe straight but the grain will barber pole.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:13:21 am »
Depends on the conditions Steve....I've seen em where the ole hedgerow is now completely engulfed by forest surrounding it,and in these conditions they tend to grow more "up" and not out like if the hedge is out in the open where it'll bush "out" more...but those sucker shoots take off fast and can easily be several feet tall after the first year after its been cut...

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
  I have a bunch of potted osage as in bonzai trees. After I cut them way back it seems like the shoots go straight up a lot faster than most of my plants.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:46:23 am »
The Very Best Osage I have ever found was all growing in the bottom of creek channels.
Growing in such places forced the trees to grow straight in a search for sun light.
It also keeps them out of the wind. 

I have often wondered it the massive loads of seed balls that grow on Osage trees has anything to with the way they grow.... 

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:16 pm »
Yes  Steve but,
as Chris said conditions take hold real quick and who knows where it is headed then !
As one example they may get six feet high and a big snow covers all but the top two feet  and the critters eat it off , because it is all they have they can get a hold of,
then they may go only sideways for the first year after that  and you soon know why its called hedge !
Critters ,sun ,wind ,weight of fruit , and other plants all kinds of things shape the product
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »
The second growth that I've seen and cut has been mostly straight.  That's some of my favorite stuff to cut.  It almost always has thick growth rings.  My Dad and Grandpa cut osage for years and years as firewood.  On almost every stump there is second growth.  I've seen it shoot straight up off the trunks of fallen trees that still had a couple roots in the ground.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:52:36 pm »
  When you guys cut an osage tree do you find it usually comes back sending shoots straight up, maybe straighter than the original tree?

Yes, usually really fast too. Usually grows a crap load of shoots, like a huge bush.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:56:30 pm »
  I've seen it shoot straight up off the trunks of fallen trees that still had a couple roots in the ground.

I see that all the time too. I think mulberry, it's relative, can be like that too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Renacs

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »
I have a couple that ive been grooming for about 5 yrs a theyre about 13ft tall fairly straight and sone about a inch1/2 thick. Last yr. I cut all the thorns off of a couple and they grew back within months.  The same with my honey locust.