Author Topic: notching video "notching made easy"  (Read 1853 times)

Offline iowabow

notching video "notching made easy"
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:05:44 pm »
Here is a video that Matt and I made today. This is a flake made point ~15 min or so  with a ~2 min notching job.

* Rating....this is an ABO film and may not be suited for all knappers and has a theatrical warning of  "M" for Mullet audiences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svyEYFQJUok&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:09:13 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Went tam

Re: notching video "notching made easy"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:12:38 pm »
Blew my mind and knocked my socks off.   I still cannot imagine how a cave man figured out how to do this with deer bones.  Very cool stuff!  And I got to keep the finish product to boot!

Thanks John!

Matt
(Grizzly)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »
The finished point
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:27:47 pm by iowabow »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
Very nice Iowa. Thanks for posting.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:37:15 am »
Nice dude ! I have to admit I have never tried ABO knapping mostly because I don't have any antler but this is inspiration to get a couple hammer stones a billet and some bone together. I got the itch to get out and do some knapping but it's 7 degrees right now in my part of Afghanistan. Guess ill have. To wait !

Thanks for sharing
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:17:12 am »
Elijah u can get creative and use almost any bone, Ive used pig bones ribs femurs etc... cow bones deer...next time u go shopping ask the meat department or some beef bones a lot of time they throw them away.  Or if u feel up to it u can almost always find a deer carcass laying somewhere!   Good stuff I like abo and pretty much knapp entirely with antler bone stone and wood!  I love the challenge!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:20:40 am »
Great video. You've explained it perfectly.   
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:43 am »
Wow had 18 views on this video ...never had that many! Thanks Don, & Zuma. Might make another video about pressure flaking with antler if anyone is interested?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 12:03:20 pm »
Elijah u can get creative and use almost any bone, Ive used pig bones ribs femurs etc... cow bones deer...next time u go shopping ask the meat department or some beef bones a lot of time they throw them away.  Or if u feel up to it u can almost always find a deer carcass laying somewhere!   Good stuff I like abo and pretty much knapp entirely with antler bone stone and wood!  I love the challenge!

Russ
Where would one find a random deer carcass ;)
Iowabow, NICE VID!!!
definitly make another one about pressure flaking.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 12:07:18 pm »

Russ
Where would one find a random deer carcass ;)
Iowabow, NICE VID!!!
definitly make another one about pressure flaking.
areas where deer
frequently travel next to roads ways are a good place to find dead deer