Author Topic: Hunting with gloves? And shooting?  (Read 3177 times)

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
Hunting with gloves? And shooting?
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:40:32 am »
Moderators feel free to move this post but I thought I would get better responses here.

Hey guys, I just got back from hunting and froze my butt off as everything is icy and cold lately (unusual weather for Oklahoma) I was thinking in my stand how I could keep my hands warmer. I couldn't feel them at all. How are you guys making do with shooting with a glove or bare fingers in cold weather? I shoot bare finger but I put big gloves over and pull them out to shoot. Constantly pulling them out every time I hear something that sounds like a deer makes my hands freeze off and was wondering if there is something you guys use that is magical or something. What gloves do you use too, if at all, because I'm sure mine suck. I need some product or method that some wizard makes that will keep my hands warm because I don't see a way I can shoot with thick gloves.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline artcher1

Re: Hunting with gloves? And shooting?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:36 am »
No special gloves, just thin cotton jerseys for me. I cut the fingers off the drawing hand and use a shooting tab. I keep that hand in my coat pocket most of the times for warmth. Do practice with all your hunting gear on before hunting season to get accustom to things. It does feels a little awkward  at first, but you'll quickly become comfortable after a few shooting sessions...........Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:15 am »
I do like Art does, cut the fingers off the right hand glove and stick my shooting glove hand through. I also have a hand muff with chem hand warmers in it for real cold. You wear the muff around your waste and it is open at both ends for your hands.
 I wear either cotton jersey gloves while hunting all seasons to keep my hands from shining.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:16:05 am »
  I know a guy that uses his thermocel to warm his hands, without the insect wafer.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:21:23 am »
In really cold weather I'll wear some Army woolen gloves and put my shooting glove over it. Sometimes I'll wear a polypropylene glove.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:10:13 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 10:23:00 am »
I just practice with my hunting gloves on. I have not noticed a difference in my ability to shoot well.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:08:30 am »
I use those flip back style gloves.. I cut the center out of my shooting hand and wear my shooting glove inside
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »
Hand warmer in my coat pocket - no glove.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »
If you don't like gloves and have to use your hands in the cold then get some vaseline and before you go out get a dollop of it and rub it into your hands. It will take a good bit of rubbing and about 10 mins to do but it really really works. It's a thing fishermen do here. No your hands don't end up slippy ;)
Another tip is to do hand scrunches. Opening and closing your fingers as fast as posible for three sets of about 30 seconds...get a good forearm pump going  :) The problem is that when you are sat still and your body senses cold the blood flow to your extremities gets reduced. If you keep doing things with your hands they won't get cold. This is what I do when sat on a Scottish mountain waiting for someone to climb!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:18 pm »
During cold weather I use poly glove liners on both hands, then my shooting glove, and top that off with wool mittens with the flip back velcro flap open on my string hand. My blood circulation isn't that good and I don't seem to have much of a problem keeping my hands warm. 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »
I use the flip back mittens with a tab. I got rid of the Velcro cause it was loud, but I was sitting out in -15c and my hands were fine. I find I only need to flip back the mitten on my tab hand to shoot.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »
I don't go out in the cold without my hand warmer muff around my waist. A chemical warmer in there is plenty of heat to keep hands warm. I am definitely going to make a set of wooly boogers one day though. (shearling lined "pouches" that hang at your hips) That natural un-shorn wool against your skin is very warm.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »
I put my hands in my pockets, no gloves.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:20 am »
I do like Art does, cut the fingers off the right hand glove and stick my shooting glove hand through. I also have a hand muff with chem hand warmers in it for real cold. You wear the muff around your waste and it is open at both ends for your hands.
 I wear either cotton jersey gloves while hunting all seasons to keep my hands from shining.

I use exactly this method, a hand muff warmer is usually all i need, but if it really cold (below zero) then i'll throw a couple chem warmers in the muff as well and my hands will sweat. one thing though, it hard to keep my hands in the muff when i am walking in and out of the woods if i am carrying my bow and maybe a bucket to sit on or something, so i usually where a pair of choppers while walking then just keep them in my pack while hunting.
45# at 27"